Jun 7, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Much like the team he leads, Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson fought through a rough campaign 2010-11 season. Injuries were a big reason he had such a tough year, as lower back issues contributed to a short 54-game season that ended in February.
Even when he was on the ice, he wasn’t his typically effective self. Alfredsson scored 14 goals and 17 assists for 31 points in those 54 games, with a career-worst -19 rating. That last figure was the most troubling; even if the team around him was often weak, “Alf” is known for being a player who is almost as defensively responsible as he is offensively potent.
Injuries and old age seem to be creeping up on the standout Swede. TSN reports that Alfredsson will undergo surgery on his back on Friday, with the recovery process expected to take about four to six weeks.
If that timetable is accurate, Alfredsson should probably be able to rehab in time for training camp. The Senators probably hope that their captain can play until his contract expires after the 2012-13 season. He’ll register a $4.875 million annual salary cap hit for the next two seasons, but will receive just $4.5 million in salary in 2011-12 and $1 million in ’12-13.
We’ll keep an eye on any announcements about the surgery and his recovery process. Sometimes these things take more time to heal than expected, especially with aging players such as Alfredsson.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)