Jun 7, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Much like the team he leads, Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson fought through a rough campaign 2010-11 season. Injuries were a big reason he had such a tough year, as lower back issues contributed to a short 54-game season that ended in February.
Even when he was on the ice, he wasn’t his typically effective self. Alfredsson scored 14 goals and 17 assists for 31 points in those 54 games, with a career-worst -19 rating. That last figure was the most troubling; even if the team around him was often weak, “Alf” is known for being a player who is almost as defensively responsible as he is offensively potent.
Injuries and old age seem to be creeping up on the standout Swede. TSN reports that Alfredsson will undergo surgery on his back on Friday, with the recovery process expected to take about four to six weeks.
If that timetable is accurate, Alfredsson should probably be able to rehab in time for training camp. The Senators probably hope that their captain can play until his contract expires after the 2012-13 season. He’ll register a $4.875 million annual salary cap hit for the next two seasons, but will receive just $4.5 million in salary in 2011-12 and $1 million in ’12-13.
We’ll keep an eye on any announcements about the surgery and his recovery process. Sometimes these things take more time to heal than expected, especially with aging players such as Alfredsson.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 15
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 23
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 57
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (57)