Jun 7, 2011, 11:37 PM EDT
The Binghamton Senators won Game 6 of the Calder Cup Final against the Houston Aeros to win the series and claim their first title in Binghamton’s 29-year AHL history. The Baby Sens were led by 4 of the top 5 scorers in the Calder Cup playoffs with Ryan Potulny, Ryan Keller, Kaspars Daugavins, and Zack Smith all collecting 20+ points. In addition, Bobby Butler was sent down from Ottawa to participate in the playoffs and netted 13 goals including the game-tying goal in the 3rd period on the power play tonight.
The offense was great all postseason, but the brightest star was the guy keeping the pucks out of the net. Baby Sens and hotshot goaltending prospect Robin Lehner won the Jack Butterfield Trophy as AHL playoff MVP. The 6’3” Swedish prospect appeared in eight games for the big club this year posting a 1-4-0 record 3.52 goals against average and .888 save percentage. But while the jump proved to be too much this season, the future is certainly bright for the 19-year-old.
Before the Calder Cup Final, Ottawa GM Bryan Murray hopes the success at the AHL level translates to the NHL:
“A few years back, we weren’t very competitive in the minors. We were disappointed that we didn’t have the personnel to really be what we are now turning out to be. (Getting to the final) is really good for the organization. Hopefully, we’ll win the Calder Cup. That will be a terrific experience for all of these players as they move forward.”
Yeah, the Final went pretty well. With prospects like Butler, Lehner, and Potulny proving they can perform when the spotlight is the brightest, the Sens look like they have a couple of forwards and a goaltender who are poised to make the jump to the NHL. Mix in defensive prospects Jared Cowen (injured) and David Rundblad (Swedish Elite League) and it looks like help is on the way in Ottawa.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (55)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)