Jun 6, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
The Web site Sports Logos.net created quite a bit of speculation this weekend when Chris Creamer reported that True North Sports and Entertainment* registered Winnipeg/Manitoba Whiteout as a trademark. Many people made the logical leap that the team might be called the Winnipeg/Manitoba Whiteout, with the former tantalizing the senses of the alliteration-loving masses.
If you were planning on bringing Wite-Out bottles to games to mock the Winnipeg Whatevers, you’ll do it without effect. The Winnipeg Free Press debunked that theory today and the logic behind their rebuke is pretty simple. Rather than serving as the team name, they registered the trademark for events when fans would all wear white, a tradition Winnipeg Jets fans practiced years ago (which everyone and their uncle have used to a sometimes-nauseating [and increasingly bland] effect since).
That seems pretty sensible, but True North will continue to deal with speculation like this until they announce the new team’s name. They cannot complain about it, either, after they promised to reveal their mascot once the Drive to 13 was completed. It took four minutes for that to happen on Saturday afternoon, but we’re still waiting for an answer.
Once it surfaces, we’ll let you know. In the mean time, feel free to vote on what the team name should be.
* – Apparently the company’s legal name was listed as “6282980 Manitoba Limited Partnership” in the paperwork, according to Creamer’s report.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)