Jun 6, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues and Phoenix Coyotes made some minor moves to fill up their rosters today, although neither teams were kind enough to share the exact terms of the contract extensions. Let’s discuss those two deals anyway.
- The Coyotes still need to find a way to re-sign Ilya Bryzgalov – or figure out which goalie will be their top netminder in his place – but their 2010-11 backup will be back in the fold. Phoenix re-signed Jason LaBarbera to a two-year contract extension.
The journeyman backup boasts impressive size as his greatest strength. He was OK in 17 games this season, going 7-6-3 with a .909 save percentage and 3.26 GAA. It’s hard to imagine “The Barber” being a starter for the Coyotes, but he could be a reasonably decent backup for two more seasons.
- Re-signing LaBarbera isn’t an earth-shattering achievement, but re-signing T.J. Hensick brings even bigger yawns. The Blues signed the underwhelming former Colorado Avalanche forward to a two-year contract extension today. My guess is that they made it a two-way deal since Hensick isn’t exactly tearing it up at the NHL level.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (99)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)