Jun 6, 2011, 2:48 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues and Phoenix Coyotes made some minor moves to fill up their rosters today, although neither teams were kind enough to share the exact terms of the contract extensions. Let’s discuss those two deals anyway.
- The Coyotes still need to find a way to re-sign Ilya Bryzgalov – or figure out which goalie will be their top netminder in his place – but their 2010-11 backup will be back in the fold. Phoenix re-signed Jason LaBarbera to a two-year contract extension.
The journeyman backup boasts impressive size as his greatest strength. He was OK in 17 games this season, going 7-6-3 with a .909 save percentage and 3.26 GAA. It’s hard to imagine “The Barber” being a starter for the Coyotes, but he could be a reasonably decent backup for two more seasons.
- Re-signing LaBarbera isn’t an earth-shattering achievement, but re-signing T.J. Hensick brings even bigger yawns. The Blues signed the underwhelming former Colorado Avalanche forward to a two-year contract extension today. My guess is that they made it a two-way deal since Hensick isn’t exactly tearing it up at the NHL level.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 6
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)