Jun 6, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
Much like a couple odds & ends items in the area of player signings earlier this afternoon, two NHL teams made minor additions to their coaching staffs that could yield positive results. Here they are.
- The Calgary Flames made two additions to their ranks.
Most notably, they hired Craig Hartsburg to serve as an associate coach for bench boss Brent Sutter (pictured). Hartsburg has plenty of coaching experience, including – oddly enough – coaching Sutter during his playing days. In other coaching news, the team made Jamie Pringle their senior video analyst. Pringle spent the last three seasons as the Florida Panthers’ video coach. The Flames’ release reveals that Pringle comes with a strong recommendation from former Panthers head coach Peter DeBoer.
The Flames provided a concise summary of Hartsburg’s 14-year coaching career in the NHL (he was the head coach of the Everett Silvertips in the WHL for the last two seasons). The Flames’ release indicates that Hartsburg will probably focus on preparing the Flames’ defensemen while fellow assistant Dave Lowry handles the forwards.
Hartsburg has 14 years of NHL coaching experience having served as the head coach for the Chicago Blackhawks (1995-98), the Anaheim Ducks (1998-2001) and the Ottawa Senators (2008-09). He was an assistant coach with the Minnesota North Stars (1989-90) and the Philadelphia Flyers (1990-94, 2002-04).
- In other news, the Columbus Blue Jackets named Ian Clark their new goalie coach. Clark served as the Vancouver Canucks’ goalie coach (and consultant) from 2002-10, but also distinguished himself in roles with Team Canada and other venues. The Blue Jackets must hope that Clark can steer their disappointing franchise goalie Steve Mason in the right direction. Here’s a little more about Clark from the Blue Jackets.
Clark, 45, is recognized as a leading educator of the goaltending position as his knowledge and innovative approach has attracted high-performance goaltenders at the NHL, minor pro, major junior and NCAA levels. He was the founder of the Goaltender Development Institute and served as technical author of From the Crease – The Self Development Guide to Hockey Goaltending from 1998-2003 and The Goalie News from 2003-08.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic