Jun 6, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
Much like a couple odds & ends items in the area of player signings earlier this afternoon, two NHL teams made minor additions to their coaching staffs that could yield positive results. Here they are.
- The Calgary Flames made two additions to their ranks.
Most notably, they hired Craig Hartsburg to serve as an associate coach for bench boss Brent Sutter (pictured). Hartsburg has plenty of coaching experience, including – oddly enough – coaching Sutter during his playing days. In other coaching news, the team made Jamie Pringle their senior video analyst. Pringle spent the last three seasons as the Florida Panthers’ video coach. The Flames’ release reveals that Pringle comes with a strong recommendation from former Panthers head coach Peter DeBoer.
The Flames provided a concise summary of Hartsburg’s 14-year coaching career in the NHL (he was the head coach of the Everett Silvertips in the WHL for the last two seasons). The Flames’ release indicates that Hartsburg will probably focus on preparing the Flames’ defensemen while fellow assistant Dave Lowry handles the forwards.
Hartsburg has 14 years of NHL coaching experience having served as the head coach for the Chicago Blackhawks (1995-98), the Anaheim Ducks (1998-2001) and the Ottawa Senators (2008-09). He was an assistant coach with the Minnesota North Stars (1989-90) and the Philadelphia Flyers (1990-94, 2002-04).
- In other news, the Columbus Blue Jackets named Ian Clark their new goalie coach. Clark served as the Vancouver Canucks’ goalie coach (and consultant) from 2002-10, but also distinguished himself in roles with Team Canada and other venues. The Blue Jackets must hope that Clark can steer their disappointing franchise goalie Steve Mason in the right direction. Here’s a little more about Clark from the Blue Jackets.
Clark, 45, is recognized as a leading educator of the goaltending position as his knowledge and innovative approach has attracted high-performance goaltenders at the NHL, minor pro, major junior and NCAA levels. He was the founder of the Goaltender Development Institute and served as technical author of From the Crease – The Self Development Guide to Hockey Goaltending from 1998-2003 and The Goalie News from 2003-08.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)