Jun 6, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
Much like a couple odds & ends items in the area of player signings earlier this afternoon, two NHL teams made minor additions to their coaching staffs that could yield positive results. Here they are.
- The Calgary Flames made two additions to their ranks.
Most notably, they hired Craig Hartsburg to serve as an associate coach for bench boss Brent Sutter (pictured). Hartsburg has plenty of coaching experience, including – oddly enough – coaching Sutter during his playing days. In other coaching news, the team made Jamie Pringle their senior video analyst. Pringle spent the last three seasons as the Florida Panthers’ video coach. The Flames’ release reveals that Pringle comes with a strong recommendation from former Panthers head coach Peter DeBoer.
The Flames provided a concise summary of Hartsburg’s 14-year coaching career in the NHL (he was the head coach of the Everett Silvertips in the WHL for the last two seasons). The Flames’ release indicates that Hartsburg will probably focus on preparing the Flames’ defensemen while fellow assistant Dave Lowry handles the forwards.
Hartsburg has 14 years of NHL coaching experience having served as the head coach for the Chicago Blackhawks (1995-98), the Anaheim Ducks (1998-2001) and the Ottawa Senators (2008-09). He was an assistant coach with the Minnesota North Stars (1989-90) and the Philadelphia Flyers (1990-94, 2002-04).
- In other news, the Columbus Blue Jackets named Ian Clark their new goalie coach. Clark served as the Vancouver Canucks’ goalie coach (and consultant) from 2002-10, but also distinguished himself in roles with Team Canada and other venues. The Blue Jackets must hope that Clark can steer their disappointing franchise goalie Steve Mason in the right direction. Here’s a little more about Clark from the Blue Jackets.
Clark, 45, is recognized as a leading educator of the goaltending position as his knowledge and innovative approach has attracted high-performance goaltenders at the NHL, minor pro, major junior and NCAA levels. He was the founder of the Goaltender Development Institute and served as technical author of From the Crease – The Self Development Guide to Hockey Goaltending from 1998-2003 and The Goalie News from 2003-08.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)