Jun 6, 2011, 4:09 PM EST
Much like a couple odds & ends items in the area of player signings earlier this afternoon, two NHL teams made minor additions to their coaching staffs that could yield positive results. Here they are.
- The Calgary Flames made two additions to their ranks.
Most notably, they hired Craig Hartsburg to serve as an associate coach for bench boss Brent Sutter (pictured). Hartsburg has plenty of coaching experience, including – oddly enough – coaching Sutter during his playing days. In other coaching news, the team made Jamie Pringle their senior video analyst. Pringle spent the last three seasons as the Florida Panthers’ video coach. The Flames’ release reveals that Pringle comes with a strong recommendation from former Panthers head coach Peter DeBoer.
The Flames provided a concise summary of Hartsburg’s 14-year coaching career in the NHL (he was the head coach of the Everett Silvertips in the WHL for the last two seasons). The Flames’ release indicates that Hartsburg will probably focus on preparing the Flames’ defensemen while fellow assistant Dave Lowry handles the forwards.
Hartsburg has 14 years of NHL coaching experience having served as the head coach for the Chicago Blackhawks (1995-98), the Anaheim Ducks (1998-2001) and the Ottawa Senators (2008-09). He was an assistant coach with the Minnesota North Stars (1989-90) and the Philadelphia Flyers (1990-94, 2002-04).
- In other news, the Columbus Blue Jackets named Ian Clark their new goalie coach. Clark served as the Vancouver Canucks’ goalie coach (and consultant) from 2002-10, but also distinguished himself in roles with Team Canada and other venues. The Blue Jackets must hope that Clark can steer their disappointing franchise goalie Steve Mason in the right direction. Here’s a little more about Clark from the Blue Jackets.
Clark, 45, is recognized as a leading educator of the goaltending position as his knowledge and innovative approach has attracted high-performance goaltenders at the NHL, minor pro, major junior and NCAA levels. He was the founder of the Goaltender Development Institute and served as technical author of From the Crease – The Self Development Guide to Hockey Goaltending from 1998-2003 and The Goalie News from 2003-08.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)