Jun 5, 2011, 6:27 PM EDT
We’re still waiting to find out what the Winnipeg team’s name will be, but perhaps True North Sports and Entertainment should keep a simple goal in mind. If nothing else, they need to make their team name easier to spell than the name of their potential new GM.
The Winnipeg Free Press backs up previous rumors that the new team is looking to add Chicago Blackhawks assistant GM Kevin Cheveldayoff to fill Rick Dudley’s vacated position. Gary Lawless states that “several sources” confirmed the rumor but didn’t mention names, so it’s far from official but could very well be true.
If that indeed comes to pass, it’s rather interesting that the Winnipeg team will replace a Blackhawks product (Dudley, who worked closely with former ‘Hawks GM and current Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon) with another Blackhawks front office member in Cheveldayoff. Lawless provides a little more background on Cheveldayoff.
Cheveldayoff has held the position of assistant GM and senior director of hockey operations with the Chicago Blackhawks for two years and was part of that organization’s Stanley Cup winning management team in 2009-10.
Here is a little more from his bio on the Blackhawks Web site.
Before joining the Blackhawks on Aug. 3, 2009, Cheveldayoff spent the previous 12 seasons as the general manager of the American Hockey League’s Chicago Wolves, guiding the franchise to four league championships, which included the 2008 and 2002 AHL Calder Cups and 2000 and 1998 IHL Turner Cups. Overall, the Blaine Lake, Saskatchewan native has been a part of six league championships during his 15-year management career, which includes two Turner Cups in three seasons as the assistant vice president of hockey operations and assistant coach for the Denver and Utah Grizzlies (1995-96).
Cheveldayoff was the architect of 12 Wolves teams that compiled a .615 regular-season winning percentage (544-320-114) and ten postseason berths from 1997 to 2009. Eight of those clubs reached the 100-point mark during the regular season while earning four division titles and six postseason conference championships.
Without knowing many specifics about which specific decisions Cheveldayoff made, it seems like his ascension might be a bit rapid. Then again, he did spend a long time as an AHL GM and it’s not as if we haven’t seen examples of quick learners at the position this season. Just look at the fantastic work Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has done in his first campaign if you’re wondering if someone call pull off such a quick climb.
That being said, Cheveldayoff won’t inherit players on the level of Steven Stamkos, Vincent Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis, either. Dustin Byfuglien is an interesting (if odd) talent, Evander Kane has some promise and the Thrashers have a few other decent pieces in place, but Cheveldayoff will face a tough challenge to construct a winning team from the current ingredients if he does indeed become the new GM.
Naturally, he hasn’t accepted the position (if it was indeed offered) yet, but the Free Press claims that he should make his decision soon. We’ll let you know if/when that happens.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)