Jun 5, 2011, 5:01 PM EDT
One of the great themes of the 2010-11 season was seemingly over-the-hill players showing that they still belonged in the NHL. Some weren’t all that far from their prime-years production, such as Nicklas Lidstrom and Teemu Selanne; others clearly lost a few steps but weren’t just on the ice because of their reputations.
Boston Bruins veteran Mark Recchi isn’t going to threaten many of his own career highs, but he’s still a valuable forward for the B’s. He scored a solid 48 points in 81 games in 2010-11 and is averaging more than 16 minutes per game in this year’s playoffs.
That being said, he wasn’t getting a whole lot done on the power play, something that fueled his critics. Recchi finally found the back of the net on the man advantage in Game 2 on Saturday, breaking an amusing Stanley Cup finals record in the process. The 43-year-old winger became the oldest player in Cup finals history to score a goal, breaking Igor Larionov’s that mark. (Larionov scored three goals in the 2002 finals for the Detroit Red Wings against the Carolina Hurricanes at the age of 41.)
Recchi also ranks among the oldest players to score at least one goal in the playoffs, in general. It’s pretty tough to imagine him surpassing the all-time legend who owns the highest mark, though.
That list points out just how impressive Recchi’s playoff production in 2010 was as well. Scoring 10 points in 13 games at his advanced age was quite the achievement.
Recchi can bask in these accomplishments (and many others) once his career is over, though. If the Bruins want to win, they might need a slightly older version of Recchi to score more goals next week.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 18
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13