Jun 4, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
Malhotra has been out of the Canucks lineup since March 16 after taking a puck in his left eye. The injury nearly cost Malhotra the vision in that eye, but after getting two operations done since then, he’s been working hard to get back into playing action. While the Canucks never officially said his season was over after the injury, it was assumed that he’d be done for good given the seriousness of the injury.
You know what they say about assumptions.
For Malhotra, Canucks coach Alain Vigneault says he’ll be used primarily for faceoff wins and defensive zone coverage and he’ll play on the fourth line. He’ll see limited minutes there but his job in winning faceoffs will be huge going up against the likes of David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron. Malhotra will take Alexandre Bolduc’s spot in the lineup. Bolduc played all of 1:39 in Game 1 against Boston. Expect to see Malhotra a little bit more than that in what’s turned out to be a miraculous recovery.
With Malhotra on the ice, expect the Canucks and their fans to be even more fired up and inspired. The Bruins will have a lot of excitement to weather throughout Game 2 but especially early on. One way or another, it will be fascinating to watch how well (or not) Malhotra does in his first game back.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)