Jun 4, 2011, 8:15 PM EST
Malhotra has been out of the Canucks lineup since March 16 after taking a puck in his left eye. The injury nearly cost Malhotra the vision in that eye, but after getting two operations done since then, he’s been working hard to get back into playing action. While the Canucks never officially said his season was over after the injury, it was assumed that he’d be done for good given the seriousness of the injury.
You know what they say about assumptions.
For Malhotra, Canucks coach Alain Vigneault says he’ll be used primarily for faceoff wins and defensive zone coverage and he’ll play on the fourth line. He’ll see limited minutes there but his job in winning faceoffs will be huge going up against the likes of David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron. Malhotra will take Alexandre Bolduc’s spot in the lineup. Bolduc played all of 1:39 in Game 1 against Boston. Expect to see Malhotra a little bit more than that in what’s turned out to be a miraculous recovery.
With Malhotra on the ice, expect the Canucks and their fans to be even more fired up and inspired. The Bruins will have a lot of excitement to weather throughout Game 2 but especially early on. One way or another, it will be fascinating to watch how well (or not) Malhotra does in his first game back.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)