Jun 4, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
To little surprise, the Drive to 13,000 season ticket holders was completed once tickets became available to the general public today. The more amazing part was the rapid speed in which it happened: Winnipeg fans reportedly only took four minutes to scoop up the 5,842 (or so) tickets that remained, while it took 17 minutes to process all the orders.
True North Sports and Entertainment is now compiling a season ticket waiting list for fans who weren’t able to get tickets. One cannot help but wonder if those waiting lists will rival the tradition of highly-contested ticket deals that Green Bay Packers fans are famous for in Wisconsin. (Pension Plan Puppets’ Chemmy said that they already have 4,000 fans on their waiting list, but that’s not an official number.)
One of the biggest questions for eager fans revolved around how well the Drive to 13 site would handle the huge rush of traffic that would hit its Web site around noon central time. ChrisD.ca reports that it was Ticketmaster’s Web site that ran slowly, instead.
With their stated goal of reaching 13,000 season tickets now a reality, we wait for True North to back up their promise by announcing the new team’s name. We’ll let you know the verdict once it is announced. In the mean time, here’s a quick statement from True North.
“The success of the campaign is a key ingredient to ensuring the sustainability and long-term viability of NHL hockey in this province,” said Jim Ludlow, President & CEO, True North Sports & Entertainment. “We look forward to seeing everyone this Fall at MTS Centre for opening night of regular season NHL hockey in Winnipeg.”
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was impressed with the speed of the sale.
“While I had no doubt the ‘Drive to 13,000′ would reach its destination, the remarkable speed at which it got there certifies the fans’ hunger for NHL hockey and their commitment to True North’s initiatives.”
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)