Jun 4, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
Much like his inspiring teammate Manny Malhotra, Vancouver Canucks defenseman Dan Hamhuis has been listed as a game-time decision for Game 2 against the Boston Bruins. Unlike the increasingly likely (and undoubtedly inspiring) return of Malhotra, the general consensus isn’t very optimistic about the chances of Hamhuis actually playing, though.
Hamhuis is a valuable defensive defenseman for the Canucks, which is why they paid big in a bidding war to land him as a free agent last summer. Hamhuis might be to blame for his own injury after he landed a big hip check on Milan Lucic in Game 1.
He hasn’t been practicing with the Canucks since then, muting some optimism that an extra night off between Games 1 and 2 might increase his chances of playing for Vancouver. It’s a tough loss that really makes you wonder if the Bruins’ big line of Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton might be primed to make some noise in Game 2 (and beyond). Here is what Vancouver’s defensive pairings might look like, judging from various reports taken from their practices.
The Canucks still enjoy the positive impact of not having a truly awful duo, but Rome and especially Alberts will leave many Vancouver fans worried. Meanwhile, Keith Ballard and his $4.2 million salary cap hit will likely remain a healthy scratch.
Many people think that Tim Thomas will need to play some spectacular hockey for the Bruins to win the Stanley Cup, but Roberto Luongo won’t be able to relax much, either. Naturally, Hamhuis isn’t absolutely counted out of Game 2, so if anything changes, we’ll let you know. If the rumors are justified, however, the Canucks defense will be much more vulnerable tonight.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)