Jun 4, 2011, 10:08 PM EDT
A lot of the build up for Game 2 saw us talking about where Zdeno Chara should be playing on the power play and focusing on how bad the Bruins power play has been through the playoffs. There’s also been the discussion of how good Roberto Luongo has been through the playoffs as well including a hot shutout streak heading into this game.
Consider all of those things null and void. Boston broke Luongo’s shutout streak at 138:54 when Milan Lucic scored on a goalmouth scramble at the 9:00 mark of the second period. The goal tied the game at 1-1 and got the Bruins the motivation they’d been sorely lacking in the game.
The motivation and the momentum would be continued on the power play of all things just 2:35 later when Mark Recchi would tip home a Zdeno Chara shot from the point to make it 2-1 Boston. Chara was back on the point during that second period power play and having him help set up Recchi is doubly satisfying as Recchi had yet to score a power play goal in these playoffs despite logging the third most minutes on the man advantage in the playoffs for Boston. Recchi at 43 years-old is now the oldest player to score in the Stanley Cup finals in the NHL era.
For Boston, they’ve got the lead now and have to weather the next 20 minutes so they can head home with the series tied. Vancouver has to find a way to win back the strength of play and it starts with the Sedin twins as they’ve been relatively invisible in this game. If they can’t step up they have to get better play from elsewhere and hope that Tim Thomas (10 saves in the second, 20 overall) can give give up a goal or two. That might be asking a lot out of Thomas, but if the Sedins get their game going, Vancouver is better off for it.
One thing Vancouver will have to get past in the third is the Bruins power play that they’ll have for 59 seconds to start the period.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)