Alex Burrows gives Vancouver a 1-0 lead after one period after controversial bite in Game 1

Jun 4, 2011, 9:15 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Vancouver Canucks - Game Two Getty Images

After all the talk about whether or not Alex Burrows should’ve been suspended for his bite on Patrice Bergeron in Game 1, it just figures that he makes his mark in Game 2 early, only this time without his teeth.

At 12:12 of the period with the Canucks on a power play thanks to a Zdeno Chara interference penalty, Burrows snapped home a pass from Chris Higgins and past Tim Thomas to put the Canucks ahead 1-0. Before the game, NBC’s Mike Milbury let his feelings be known about how he feels the NHL dropped the ball in not punishing Burrows for his Game 1 bite.

“If I had known in the late ‘70s that it was okay to pig out on human flesh, I would have eaten Guy Lafleur…this is a disgraceful call by the league…this guy should have been suspended. They’re impacting this series by a non-call. It was not very courageous.”

Milbury’s point is spot on and letting a play like that go unpunished is inexcusable, much in the same way the league erred in not punishing Boston’s Nathan Horton for Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals for spraying Lightning fans with a water bottle after the Bruins Game 6 loss. Coincidentally enough, Horton scored the game-winning goal in Game 7 so it’s a bit of karmic justice that Burrows scores for Vancouver tonight.

Tim Thomas stopped 10 shots in the period while Roberto Luongo stopped all 11 he saw in the first period. Johnny Boychuk was also on the ice for that Vancouver goal which means he’s now been on the ice for the last eight goals allowed by Boston. He can’t blame himself for this one though as it was Ference’s bad clearing attempt that led to the goal.

Boston is getting outskated so far in Game 2 and Vancouver’s pressure on the forecheck early on is reminiscent of what Tampa Bay did to Boston in Game 1 of the Eastern finals. Boston’s going to have to be quicker and smarter with their passes to get around Vancouver and turn the tide in their favor in the second period.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

1. reuben4boston - Jun 4, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Except while Horton didn’t get suspended, he at least got fined.

Meanwhile, for Burrows, the league goes to say the incident didn’t happen. Completely different.

2. grudenthediva - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Yes, because that whopping $2,500 fine well after the fact clearly made a difference.

Cry about it.

3. daffy59 - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Steven Moore has yet to play another game of hockey and BOOTWOSIE skates another year, get over the finger incident!!!!!! It’s hockey.

• cannonblast14 - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Biting someones finger is not hockey. Its not want we want in the game. Just not needed. I find it funny you talk about the Moore and Bertuzzi incident and and then says “it’s hockey”. So basically we should just get over the Bertuzzi thing because “it’s hockey”? Give me a break. I have no real preference to who wins the cup, but Burrows should have gotten one game because that crap does not belong in hockey. Neither does the Lapierre gamesmanship. You give Burrows a game, people wont bite and Lapierre doesnt instigate and the game has some dignity.

4. gcoutts - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Maybe I’m simple, but as a kid my mother use to often say when I was about to fiddle with something I ought not , don’t put your hand in there you’ll get it cut off.

Seems she was saying if I get hurt it’s my own stupid fault.

Patrice, well its his own stupid fault.

5. gallyhatch - Jun 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM

There’s an appalling lack of intelligent comments on this site, it makes me wonder why I even bother reading them.
    Bruins did not lose this game because Burrows was on the ice, they lost because of poor decision making/puck handling, and a great opponent who makes you pay for bad decisions. Thomas & Chara need to play better if the Bruins are even going to have a chance in this series.
    With that being said, Burrows should have been suspended, and Horton should have been suspended for game 7 against TB. The NHL has been making ridiculously inconsistent disciplinary decisions for years (i.e. Sean Avery’s at the time indefinite suspension for making a comment about “sloppy seconds” …. are you kidding me?).

Sedin’s ‘vegetarian’ comment and LaPierre’s spineless taunting of Bergeron (who is one of the most stand-up guys in the league) are embarrassing for the NHL, at a time when they should be capitalizing on their resurgence. Game 1 had the highest ratings since the SCF of 1999!

Hate on the Bruins all you want.
    Blame Bergeron for getting bitten (that’s my favorite of them all – Burrows had his hand in Bergeron’s face, mouth area, why didn’t he get bit? Oh, probably because Bergeron wouldn’t pull that crap)
    Give my comment a thumbs down all you want, but this whole situation has been nothing short of embarrassing for Bettman & the league.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches