Jun 3, 2011, 7:26 PM EDT
The Associated Press reports that Matthew Barnaby was served with two protective orders* following an alleged incident between Barnaby and his ex-wife and her boyfriend on May 13. Those two orders prohibit Barnaby from “making offensive contact” with Barnaby’s ex-wife or her boyfriend.
The former NHL player and current ESPN/TSN analyst pleaded not guilty to five charges on May 14: felony criminal mischief, criminal contempt, criminal trespass, harassment and aggravated harassment. The most serious charge is felony criminal mischief, which could carry a maximum prison sentence of four years if convicted.
The AP reports that lawyers associated with the case said that it could be resolved before it comes to a trial. Here is a little summary of Barnaby’s NHL career from a previous post.
Many people associate Barnaby with his time spent as a pest with the Buffalo Sabres. He skated with the team from 1992-93 through part of the 1998-99 season, with his highest point coming in the 1997-98 playoffs. He scored seven goals and six assists for 13 points in 15 games during that playoff run.
Overall, Barnaby played in 834 regular season games, suiting up for the Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Colorado Avalanche, Chicago Blackhawks and Dallas Stars. He scored 300 points and racked up 2,562 penalty minutes in that span.
* – Protective orders are a lot like restraining orders, but there are some differences. Click here to read about the similarities and differences.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)