Jun 3, 2011, 7:26 PM EST
The Associated Press reports that Matthew Barnaby was served with two protective orders* following an alleged incident between Barnaby and his ex-wife and her boyfriend on May 13. Those two orders prohibit Barnaby from “making offensive contact” with Barnaby’s ex-wife or her boyfriend.
The former NHL player and current ESPN/TSN analyst pleaded not guilty to five charges on May 14: felony criminal mischief, criminal contempt, criminal trespass, harassment and aggravated harassment. The most serious charge is felony criminal mischief, which could carry a maximum prison sentence of four years if convicted.
The AP reports that lawyers associated with the case said that it could be resolved before it comes to a trial. Here is a little summary of Barnaby’s NHL career from a previous post.
Many people associate Barnaby with his time spent as a pest with the Buffalo Sabres. He skated with the team from 1992-93 through part of the 1998-99 season, with his highest point coming in the 1997-98 playoffs. He scored seven goals and six assists for 13 points in 15 games during that playoff run.
Overall, Barnaby played in 834 regular season games, suiting up for the Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Colorado Avalanche, Chicago Blackhawks and Dallas Stars. He scored 300 points and racked up 2,562 penalty minutes in that span.
* – Protective orders are a lot like restraining orders, but there are some differences. Click here to read about the similarities and differences.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)