Jun 3, 2011, 7:26 PM EDT
The Associated Press reports that Matthew Barnaby was served with two protective orders* following an alleged incident between Barnaby and his ex-wife and her boyfriend on May 13. Those two orders prohibit Barnaby from “making offensive contact” with Barnaby’s ex-wife or her boyfriend.
The former NHL player and current ESPN/TSN analyst pleaded not guilty to five charges on May 14: felony criminal mischief, criminal contempt, criminal trespass, harassment and aggravated harassment. The most serious charge is felony criminal mischief, which could carry a maximum prison sentence of four years if convicted.
The AP reports that lawyers associated with the case said that it could be resolved before it comes to a trial. Here is a little summary of Barnaby’s NHL career from a previous post.
Many people associate Barnaby with his time spent as a pest with the Buffalo Sabres. He skated with the team from 1992-93 through part of the 1998-99 season, with his highest point coming in the 1997-98 playoffs. He scored seven goals and six assists for 13 points in 15 games during that playoff run.
Overall, Barnaby played in 834 regular season games, suiting up for the Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Colorado Avalanche, Chicago Blackhawks and Dallas Stars. He scored 300 points and racked up 2,562 penalty minutes in that span.
* – Protective orders are a lot like restraining orders, but there are some differences. Click here to read about the similarities and differences.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 16
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 53
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 85
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (85)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control