Jun 3, 2011, 7:26 PM EST
The Associated Press reports that Matthew Barnaby was served with two protective orders* following an alleged incident between Barnaby and his ex-wife and her boyfriend on May 13. Those two orders prohibit Barnaby from “making offensive contact” with Barnaby’s ex-wife or her boyfriend.
The former NHL player and current ESPN/TSN analyst pleaded not guilty to five charges on May 14: felony criminal mischief, criminal contempt, criminal trespass, harassment and aggravated harassment. The most serious charge is felony criminal mischief, which could carry a maximum prison sentence of four years if convicted.
The AP reports that lawyers associated with the case said that it could be resolved before it comes to a trial. Here is a little summary of Barnaby’s NHL career from a previous post.
Many people associate Barnaby with his time spent as a pest with the Buffalo Sabres. He skated with the team from 1992-93 through part of the 1998-99 season, with his highest point coming in the 1997-98 playoffs. He scored seven goals and six assists for 13 points in 15 games during that playoff run.
Overall, Barnaby played in 834 regular season games, suiting up for the Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Colorado Avalanche, Chicago Blackhawks and Dallas Stars. He scored 300 points and racked up 2,562 penalty minutes in that span.
* – Protective orders are a lot like restraining orders, but there are some differences. Click here to read about the similarities and differences.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 28
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 86
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (86)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)