Jun 3, 2011, 7:26 PM EST
The Associated Press reports that Matthew Barnaby was served with two protective orders* following an alleged incident between Barnaby and his ex-wife and her boyfriend on May 13. Those two orders prohibit Barnaby from “making offensive contact” with Barnaby’s ex-wife or her boyfriend.
The former NHL player and current ESPN/TSN analyst pleaded not guilty to five charges on May 14: felony criminal mischief, criminal contempt, criminal trespass, harassment and aggravated harassment. The most serious charge is felony criminal mischief, which could carry a maximum prison sentence of four years if convicted.
The AP reports that lawyers associated with the case said that it could be resolved before it comes to a trial. Here is a little summary of Barnaby’s NHL career from a previous post.
Many people associate Barnaby with his time spent as a pest with the Buffalo Sabres. He skated with the team from 1992-93 through part of the 1998-99 season, with his highest point coming in the 1997-98 playoffs. He scored seven goals and six assists for 13 points in 15 games during that playoff run.
Overall, Barnaby played in 834 regular season games, suiting up for the Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Colorado Avalanche, Chicago Blackhawks and Dallas Stars. He scored 300 points and racked up 2,562 penalty minutes in that span.
* – Protective orders are a lot like restraining orders, but there are some differences. Click here to read about the similarities and differences.
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 4
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 4
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 9
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)