Jun 3, 2011, 6:28 PM EST
We had an update on how ticket sales were going in Winnipeg earlier today showing that over 4,000 season tickets were sold after just two days of being available as part of a presale before being opened up to the general public on Saturday. While that number was more than impressive, the “Drive To 13″ update this evening was even more encouraging to the fans in Winnipeg looking to impress the NHL and guarantee the Board of Governors approval to sell the Atlanta Thrashers to True North and move the team to Canada.
Late this afternoon, the Drive To 13 official twitter account updated the sales figures and they’re huge with 7,158 season ticket deposits put down for the next three, four, or five years of Winnipeg NHL hockey. That leaves 5,842 more deposits left to go with the online free-for-all for all potential buyers tomorrow starting at noon. With the rest of Manitoba and north-central United States ready to chime in and get a piece of the action in Winnipeg, you have to think that perhaps they’ll meet their goal before the weekend is even out.
Look at it this way, True North gave fans up to three weeks to take care of business for themselves and they could get it done in four days. That’s impressive no matter how you look at it because that’s a lot of money getting plunked down and a lot of years being devoted to an NHL team. Of course, once those 13,000 tickets are bought up we’ll get to find out what True North plans on naming the team.
With all the Jets nostalgia running wild through not just the City of Winnipeg but across North America, it would become a severe let down and a damn shame to see the team named something else that smacks of marketing nonsense. We’ll save our indignation in case that happens, but we guarantee that there will be some in written form here should things go that way. Nonetheless, Winnipeg is doing their job of showing what it all means to them regardless of the team’s name and that’s something to be proud of.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 10
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 8
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)