Jun 2, 2011, 1:40 PM EST
Going into the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, many expected some great work from two Vezina Trophy finalists. Tim Thomas and Roberto Luongo didn’t disappoint in Game 1, despite playing in a contest that was often wide-open and sloppy.
Luongo earned a 36-save shutout last night, coming up especially big early on in the contest. He stopped 17 shots in the first period, including nine on a four-minute double-minor penalty on Daniel Sedin for high-sticking Zdeno Chara. Luongo didn’t make quite as many highlight reel saves as his unorthodox counterpart, but he still won the game and earned the goose egg.
Thomas was often spectacular in his own right, even if he allowed the game’s only goal. Some might say that Thomas was a bit too aggressive as Jannik Hansen drew him in before passing to Raffi Torres, but his defense ultimately let him down. He plugged up quite a few leaks earlier in the contest, making heart-stopping saves with considerable regularity.
With two great goaltending performances in mind, it only makes sense that we share the Net Cam footage from Game 1. Check out highlights in the video below.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)