Jun 2, 2011, 1:40 PM EST
Going into the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, many expected some great work from two Vezina Trophy finalists. Tim Thomas and Roberto Luongo didn’t disappoint in Game 1, despite playing in a contest that was often wide-open and sloppy.
Luongo earned a 36-save shutout last night, coming up especially big early on in the contest. He stopped 17 shots in the first period, including nine on a four-minute double-minor penalty on Daniel Sedin for high-sticking Zdeno Chara. Luongo didn’t make quite as many highlight reel saves as his unorthodox counterpart, but he still won the game and earned the goose egg.
Thomas was often spectacular in his own right, even if he allowed the game’s only goal. Some might say that Thomas was a bit too aggressive as Jannik Hansen drew him in before passing to Raffi Torres, but his defense ultimately let him down. He plugged up quite a few leaks earlier in the contest, making heart-stopping saves with considerable regularity.
With two great goaltending performances in mind, it only makes sense that we share the Net Cam footage from Game 1. Check out highlights in the video below.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)