Jun 2, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
Going into the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, many expected some great work from two Vezina Trophy finalists. Tim Thomas and Roberto Luongo didn’t disappoint in Game 1, despite playing in a contest that was often wide-open and sloppy.
Luongo earned a 36-save shutout last night, coming up especially big early on in the contest. He stopped 17 shots in the first period, including nine on a four-minute double-minor penalty on Daniel Sedin for high-sticking Zdeno Chara. Luongo didn’t make quite as many highlight reel saves as his unorthodox counterpart, but he still won the game and earned the goose egg.
Thomas was often spectacular in his own right, even if he allowed the game’s only goal. Some might say that Thomas was a bit too aggressive as Jannik Hansen drew him in before passing to Raffi Torres, but his defense ultimately let him down. He plugged up quite a few leaks earlier in the contest, making heart-stopping saves with considerable regularity.
With two great goaltending performances in mind, it only makes sense that we share the Net Cam footage from Game 1. Check out highlights in the video below.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)