Jun 2, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
While most of the news is justifiably centered on the Boston Bruins, Vancouver Canucks and 2011 Stanley Cup finals as a whole, other teams made some moves as they look toward the 2011-12 season. Here are two transaction-related nuggets to chew on.
- The Buffalo Sabres signed their 2010 first round pick Mark Pysyk to an entry-level contract today. Pysyk was the 23rd overall pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Hockey’s Future lists the defenseman as a “7.5B prospect,” which indicates that he has the potential to be a blueliner on a team’s first or second pairing.
- Just a few days after they wrapped up young forward Patrik Berglund, the St. Louis Blues kept another player in the fold. The Blues gave defenseman Roman Polak a five-year contract extension today. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the deal is worth $13.75 million, which would register a $2.75 million annual cap hit.
Polak isn’t a game-changer but serves as a dependable defensive defenseman who is only 25 years old. The Blues obviously hope that his injury problems in 2010-11 were just an aberration, especially considering their five-year commitment.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)