Jun 2, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
While most of the news is justifiably centered on the Boston Bruins, Vancouver Canucks and 2011 Stanley Cup finals as a whole, other teams made some moves as they look toward the 2011-12 season. Here are two transaction-related nuggets to chew on.
- The Buffalo Sabres signed their 2010 first round pick Mark Pysyk to an entry-level contract today. Pysyk was the 23rd overall pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Hockey’s Future lists the defenseman as a “7.5B prospect,” which indicates that he has the potential to be a blueliner on a team’s first or second pairing.
- Just a few days after they wrapped up young forward Patrik Berglund, the St. Louis Blues kept another player in the fold. The Blues gave defenseman Roman Polak a five-year contract extension today. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the deal is worth $13.75 million, which would register a $2.75 million annual cap hit.
Polak isn’t a game-changer but serves as a dependable defensive defenseman who is only 25 years old. The Blues obviously hope that his injury problems in 2010-11 were just an aberration, especially considering their five-year commitment.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)