Jun 2, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
While most of the news is justifiably centered on the Boston Bruins, Vancouver Canucks and 2011 Stanley Cup finals as a whole, other teams made some moves as they look toward the 2011-12 season. Here are two transaction-related nuggets to chew on.
- The Buffalo Sabres signed their 2010 first round pick Mark Pysyk to an entry-level contract today. Pysyk was the 23rd overall pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Hockey’s Future lists the defenseman as a “7.5B prospect,” which indicates that he has the potential to be a blueliner on a team’s first or second pairing.
- Just a few days after they wrapped up young forward Patrik Berglund, the St. Louis Blues kept another player in the fold. The Blues gave defenseman Roman Polak a five-year contract extension today. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the deal is worth $13.75 million, which would register a $2.75 million annual cap hit.
Polak isn’t a game-changer but serves as a dependable defensive defenseman who is only 25 years old. The Blues obviously hope that his injury problems in 2010-11 were just an aberration, especially considering their five-year commitment.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)