Jun 2, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
While most of the news is justifiably centered on the Boston Bruins, Vancouver Canucks and 2011 Stanley Cup finals as a whole, other teams made some moves as they look toward the 2011-12 season. Here are two transaction-related nuggets to chew on.
- The Buffalo Sabres signed their 2010 first round pick Mark Pysyk to an entry-level contract today. Pysyk was the 23rd overall pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Hockey’s Future lists the defenseman as a “7.5B prospect,” which indicates that he has the potential to be a blueliner on a team’s first or second pairing.
- Just a few days after they wrapped up young forward Patrik Berglund, the St. Louis Blues kept another player in the fold. The Blues gave defenseman Roman Polak a five-year contract extension today. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the deal is worth $13.75 million, which would register a $2.75 million annual cap hit.
Polak isn’t a game-changer but serves as a dependable defensive defenseman who is only 25 years old. The Blues obviously hope that his injury problems in 2010-11 were just an aberration, especially considering their five-year commitment.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 0
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 12
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 65
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)