Jun 2, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
While most of the news is justifiably centered on the Boston Bruins, Vancouver Canucks and 2011 Stanley Cup finals as a whole, other teams made some moves as they look toward the 2011-12 season. Here are two transaction-related nuggets to chew on.
- The Buffalo Sabres signed their 2010 first round pick Mark Pysyk to an entry-level contract today. Pysyk was the 23rd overall pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Hockey’s Future lists the defenseman as a “7.5B prospect,” which indicates that he has the potential to be a blueliner on a team’s first or second pairing.
- Just a few days after they wrapped up young forward Patrik Berglund, the St. Louis Blues kept another player in the fold. The Blues gave defenseman Roman Polak a five-year contract extension today. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that the deal is worth $13.75 million, which would register a $2.75 million annual cap hit.
Polak isn’t a game-changer but serves as a dependable defensive defenseman who is only 25 years old. The Blues obviously hope that his injury problems in 2010-11 were just an aberration, especially considering their five-year commitment.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 8
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 6
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 51
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 77
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 48
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte