Jun 2, 2011, 1:34 AM EST
Raffi Torres scored a goal with less than 20 seconds left to allow the Vancouver Canucks to earn a last-minute 1-0 win in Game 1 against the Boston Bruins Wednesday night. That narrow victory gave the Canucks a 1-0 series lead and an opportunity for fans to celebrate, but that contest didn’t necessarily provide a lot of insight into how this series might work out.
Post-game press conferences are often the place where coaches and players spout cliches and empty compliments to their opponents, with maybe a vague injury update dropped in here and there. That being said, they are often our best opportunity to take the pulse of winners and losers alike. Let’s take a look at some of the Game 1 reactions from both sides.
- Bruins coach Claude Julien said he didn’t see footage of Alex Burrows biting Patrice Bergeron, but said it was “a classless move” if the allegations are true. (Which they are, of course.)
- NBC caught up with Ryan Kesler after the game, which you can see in this video. Kesler added another bullet point in his Conn Smythe resume when he created as Johnny Boychuk turnover and then sent a great pass to Jannik Hansen, who set up Raffi Torres for that game-winning tap-in goal.
- Tim Thomas was outstanding in Game 1, but Roberto Luongo came out on top in that goaltending duel by stopping all 36 of the shots that he faced. Here’s what he said after Vancouver’s 1-0 win.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)