Jun 2, 2011, 1:34 AM EDT
Raffi Torres scored a goal with less than 20 seconds left to allow the Vancouver Canucks to earn a last-minute 1-0 win in Game 1 against the Boston Bruins Wednesday night. That narrow victory gave the Canucks a 1-0 series lead and an opportunity for fans to celebrate, but that contest didn’t necessarily provide a lot of insight into how this series might work out.
Post-game press conferences are often the place where coaches and players spout cliches and empty compliments to their opponents, with maybe a vague injury update dropped in here and there. That being said, they are often our best opportunity to take the pulse of winners and losers alike. Let’s take a look at some of the Game 1 reactions from both sides.
- Bruins coach Claude Julien said he didn’t see footage of Alex Burrows biting Patrice Bergeron, but said it was “a classless move” if the allegations are true. (Which they are, of course.)
- NBC caught up with Ryan Kesler after the game, which you can see in this video. Kesler added another bullet point in his Conn Smythe resume when he created as Johnny Boychuk turnover and then sent a great pass to Jannik Hansen, who set up Raffi Torres for that game-winning tap-in goal.
- Tim Thomas was outstanding in Game 1, but Roberto Luongo came out on top in that goaltending duel by stopping all 36 of the shots that he faced. Here’s what he said after Vancouver’s 1-0 win.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)