Jun 2, 2011, 1:34 AM EDT
Raffi Torres scored a goal with less than 20 seconds left to allow the Vancouver Canucks to earn a last-minute 1-0 win in Game 1 against the Boston Bruins Wednesday night. That narrow victory gave the Canucks a 1-0 series lead and an opportunity for fans to celebrate, but that contest didn’t necessarily provide a lot of insight into how this series might work out.
Post-game press conferences are often the place where coaches and players spout cliches and empty compliments to their opponents, with maybe a vague injury update dropped in here and there. That being said, they are often our best opportunity to take the pulse of winners and losers alike. Let’s take a look at some of the Game 1 reactions from both sides.
- Bruins coach Claude Julien said he didn’t see footage of Alex Burrows biting Patrice Bergeron, but said it was “a classless move” if the allegations are true. (Which they are, of course.)
- NBC caught up with Ryan Kesler after the game, which you can see in this video. Kesler added another bullet point in his Conn Smythe resume when he created as Johnny Boychuk turnover and then sent a great pass to Jannik Hansen, who set up Raffi Torres for that game-winning tap-in goal.
- Tim Thomas was outstanding in Game 1, but Roberto Luongo came out on top in that goaltending duel by stopping all 36 of the shots that he faced. Here’s what he said after Vancouver’s 1-0 win.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control