Jun 2, 2011, 5:42 PM EST
People who thought the 2011 playoffs would go buzz-free in Sidney Crosby‘s absence have been regularly proven wrong, with the outstanding ratings from Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals being the most recent rebuttal. That being said, it would still be disturbing if the Pittsburgh Penguins star’s concussions symptoms force him to miss a big chunk of the 2011-12 season.
While a full-fledged return in time for training camp is still very much in question, Crosby took a promising next step in his recovery process. The Associated Press reports that Crosby has been cleared for off-ice workouts as part of his summer regimen.
It’s been an up-and-down road for Crosby since he played his last game against the Tampa Bay Lighnting on January 5. There were some hopes that he might have been able to make an appearance in the 2011 playoffs, but another wave of concussion symptoms washed those dreams away.
The AP report expands a bit on his next steps.
Crosby will work out with a personal trainer for the next 2-3 weeks in Cole Harbor, Nova Scotia, according to Penguins general manager Ray Shero, and will be monitored by Dr. Michael Collins of University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
“Everything will be closely managed by Dr. Collins,” Shero said, “in terms of his progression leading up to him getting on the ice later in the summer per his usual routine.”
There’s still a long way to go before training camp begins in September, so we’ll keep you informed about his rehab process from often-unpredictable concussion symptoms.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)