Jun 1, 2011, 1:33 AM EDT
Watching your favorite team get to the Stanley Cup Final may be one of the best feelings in sports. The out-of-town scoreboard has been shut off and the entire hockey world is focused on the local team. The spotlight and city conversation is great—but that’s not what it’s all about for everyone. For the team’s management and local business owners, it’s all about those extra home dates to generate a little more money before the season ends.
In Boston, the Cup Final is projected to bring in some serious money into the local economy. Initial estimates predict $5 million to be pumped into the economy for each and every home date for the Bruins at TD Banknorth Garden. If the series goes at least six games, Boston is looking at approximately $15 million for those three added home dates. See? Everyone loves a winner.
“But the Bruins recent transformation from Hub sports also-rans to title contenders could translate into as much as $15 million in spending on hotels, restaurants, bars and transportation companies — if the best-of-seven battle vs. the Canucks goes at least six games, with three in Boston.”
It’s not just the travel industry that will see a bump in profits. Local bars will house fans throwing back pint after pint for away games (as well as home games), memorabilia shops will cash in on Eastern Conference champs gear, and the team makes important money with up to three more sold out games.
If either the Bruins or Canucks have a chance to clinch the Cup in Game 5, there will be plenty of people in the Boston area with a rooting interest. They might be rooting for the Bruins, they might be rooting for the Canucks, but they’ll most certainly be rooting for a Game 6. They’re just like hockey fans all over North America—they’re rooting for as much hockey as they can get. The only difference is they have $5 million riding on the outcome and hockey fans will just be faced with a summer filled with baseball.
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturay 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)