Video: Thrashers owner Michael Gearon breaks down crying talking about team’s sale and move to Winnipeg
May 31, 2011, 6:19 PM EDT
Say what you will about the situation involving the Thrashers sale to True North and moving to Winnipeg, it has an effect on everyone. For the fans in Winnipeg, they’re ecstatic. For the fans in Atlanta, they’re crushed. For the soon-to-be former owners of the Thrashers, they’ve said they’re disappointed and apologetic for not getting a deal done locally.
Are they sincere about that? Well now you can be the judge.
Thrashers owner Michael Gearon spoke with the media in Atlanta today to express his thoughts and feelings on the situation that will now see the Thrashers move from Atlanta to Winnipeg after 12 seasons in Georgia. The Thrashers made the playoffs just once and since Gearon and business partner Bruce Levenson bought the team as part of the Atlanta Spirit Group in 2004, they’ve been on hard times with making things work in Atlanta ever since.
In his talk to the media, Gearon had to pause numerous times so as to not get busted on camera crying fully for the fate of the team and hockey in Atlanta. Do you believe his feelings though? Given how things have shaken out we’re more than a bit cynical. Judge for yourselves however.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)