May 31, 2011, 6:54 PM EDT
He’s one of the biggest, most imposing-looking defensemen in the NHL and he’s going to call Montreal home for one more season. According to RDS and TSN’s Bob McKenzie, Hal Gill has re-signed with the Montreal Canadiens for one year reportedly worth $2.25 million.
Last season, Gill had two goals and seven assists while putting up a -9 plus/minus rating and averaging nearly 20 minutes of ice time per game. While he may not have been apparent on the stat sheets, his help in making rookie P.K. Subban into a better, more well-rounded defenseman might be his most underrated quality. Subban and Gill teamed up as a sort of “thunder and lightning” pairing, something that didn’t go unnoticed by the likes of The Montreal Gazette’s Pat Hickey.
The Canadiens are expected to retain unrestricted free agent Andrei Markov and restricted free agent Josh Gorges, and they will form the No. 1 pair, while Gill will continue to serve as a mentor and steadying influence on P.K. Subban.
Montreal has a potentially bumpy offseason ahead with so many defensive free agents in their midst, but getting Gill locked up is good for them defensively and great for them developmentally for Subban. For all the numbers Gill lacked offensively, Subban made up for by scoring 14 goals and adding 24 assists in his first full NHL season. If Subban can improve upon those numbers and become more of a defensive force, the $2.25 million for Gill will be more than well worth it.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 7
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 53
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 17
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8