May 31, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
St. Louis is set to have a busy summer ahead in dealing with restricted free agents and finding other ways to improve the Blues roster, but GM Doug Armstrong locked up one of the more important guys today. Centerman Patrik Berglund has been improving himself and his play in St. Louis over the years and after coming off a season that saw him come up with career highs in goals (22) and assists (30) the Blues want to keep him around to see what else he’s got to offer.
Berglund signed a two year contract today to avoid restricted free agency and became the first of eight restricted free agents to re-sign with the team. At a total worth of $4.5 million and a cap hit of $2.25 over the next two seasons, Berglund will be locked into what could be evolving into a very talented stable of young forwards.
The Blues will be busy trying to also get guys like T.J. Oshie, Roman Polak, B.J. Crombeen, Matt D’Agostini, and Vladimir Sobotka re-signed this summer to try and keep things moving upward for St. Louis. With Cam Janssen and Ty Conklin as unrestricted free agents as well, there’s potential the Blues could see a significant shake up this summer.
For Berglund, however, this is a confirmation in the faith the team has in him after what’s been three solid seasons in St. Louis. Over that time Berglund has 56 goals and 125 points and he’s just 22years-old (he turns 23 in two days). Provided the Blues keep Oshie in the fold and guys like David Backes and Chris Stewart improve and David Perron can get back on the ice, the Blues have a nice set of young forwards heading into the future.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 30
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 14
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54