May 30, 2011, 11:38 PM EDT
While the rest of the world is eating, sleeping, and drinking the Stanley Cup Finals, the Florida Panthers decided they’d do their best to steal some of the headlines. As reported by TSN’s Bob McKenzie on Twitter, the Florida Panthers have re-signed 24-year-old right wing Jack Skille to a two-year deal worth $1.65 million. The deal is a slight raise for Skille, who signed a 1-year, $600,000 before last season. Not only will he earn more money over the next two seasons, but he’ll also get an opportunity to perform at the NHL level with the Panthers.
It’s been a busy off-season for the restricted free agent from Madison, WI. The former 7th overall pick in 2005 was part of the package sent by the Blackhawks to Florida in exchange for Michael Frolik. Obviously, Panthers’ GM Dale Tallon liked what he saw as Skille was developing at the University of Wisconsin, with Rockford in the AHL, and as he got his feet wet with the Blackhawks. Upon arriving in South Beach, he had a goal and an assist in 13 games while posting an ugly minus 12. As soon as the season ended, he headed to Slovakia as part of the American World Championship team (1 goal in 7 games).
The move for Florida is just another step as they work through what will be a busy offseason. George Richards from The Miami Herald breaks down the work they’ve had with restricted free agents:
Like the 3-year Ellerby deal, the Skille signing keeps a young player in the middle of their rebuilding job for a few more years while they attempt to build a solid foundation. Skille has all kinds of speed and has learned as a professional to play with a physical edge and to crash the net. Obviously he’ll need to start putting the puck in the net a little more often, if he wants to have a bigger payday next time around. But he’s a serviceable player who has plenty of upside on a team building for the future.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)