May 29, 2011, 12:19 AM EDT
It might be the summer and the Stanley Cup finals are upon us, but Penguins captain Sidney Crosby is continuing his efforts to get well after his concussion suffered in January. While Crosby had his season ended thanks to shots from both David Steckel and Victor Hedman, he’s trying to make sure he’s in playing shape when training camp comes around in September.
Crosby was trying to come back in time for the playoffs but suffered a setback in his recovery, he’s going to be re-evaluated soon to see how he’s recovering.
Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has the update on what’s going on with the ailing Penguins captain.
Penguins center and captain Sidney Crosby is expected to be re-evaluated by concussion specialist Michael Collins in the next week or so, general manager Ray Shero said Friday.
Crosby, who was on vacation in Europe, has returned to Pittsburgh. He will need clearance before he begins an offseason workout program.
While it’s good to see that Crosby is healthy enough to do some world traveling we can only hope that he’s recovered enough to be able to get back on the ice and get himself in shape enough to play again come September for training camp. The Penguins and their future obviously have a lot invested in Crosby’s health and while they’ll be likely getting Evgeni Malkin back from knee surgery in time for camp, Crosby’s ever-changing status concerning his concussion is one where a timetable can’t be affixed.
Any setbacks suffered just push back when Crosby could possibly come back to action and the attention paid to concussions will be increased all the more. After all, you lose the best player in the game to an injury for players that’s been downplayed for too long. For now, we hope that Crosby’s re-evaluation comes out positive for his ability to get back on the ice.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic