May 28, 2011, 3:32 PM EDT
For many Tampa Bay Lightning fans, it almost seemed cruel. Despite previous precedent of John Tortorella – their former Stanley Cup-winning coach, by the way – receiving a one-game suspension for a fairly similar incident, Boston Bruins forward Nathan Horton didn’t receive supplemental discipline for his water bottle-throwing transgression.
Well, at least it seemed that way.
Joe Haggerty reports that the NHL fined Horton for throwing a water bottle at Lightning fans following Boston’s loss in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals. The total amount of the fine has not been disclosed, however.
That’s probably small solace for Lightning fans who called for his suspension, especially since Horton ended up scoring Game 7’s only goal. For better or worse, the league did acknowledge that moment, though.
Of course, this controversy obscures the real evil in this story: noisemakers handed out at events. I dream of a sporting society without “rally drums,” Thunderstix, vuvuzelas and another sonic sporting scourges. Sadly, it seems like these trends are only building steam rather than running on empty. If you’re like me, you shudder to think about the obnoxious, noisy future of sports.
I guess that’s why high-definition televisions exist though, right?
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)