May 27, 2011, 7:46 PM EDT
With the NBA finals matchup determined last night, much of the sports world will get the chance to witness some of the finest competition possible in sports in tonight’s hockey game. The Tampa Bay Lightning and Boston Bruins traveled bumpy roads to get to this point, but whoever wins tonight’s Game 7 gets to face the Vancouver Canucks juggernaut in the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.
Tampa Bay @ Boston (Versus) – 8 p.m. ET; Series tied at 3-3
The Lightning carried the play for much of this series and would not be denied during Game 6 at home. The Bruins have been surprisingly lax defensively during much of this series, often appearing flat-footed against a faster Tampa Bay team. The often superlative play of goalie Tim Thomas has been the ace up their sleeve during their three wins (and occasionally in defeat), though. He gives the Bruins an advantage over a suddenly shaky Dwayne Roloson, although Roloson’s 7-0 record in elimination games cannot be denied.
We’re hard-pressed to pick a favorite going into this one and so were PHT readers, as you can see from the Game 7 poll results.
Do you want more material as you wait to find out which team will represent the Eastern Conference in the Stanley Cup finals? Here are all the game recaps:
If you want a little more depth, though, here are some of PHT’s best stories going into Game 7.
- Game 6 tossed everything out the window going into Game 7.
- The Nathan Horton water bottle scandal caused controversy but the NHL didn’t fine or suspend anyone because of it.
- Vincent Lecavalier or Zdeno Chara will face a decision that typically generates some interest: will the winning captain touch the Prince of Wales Trophy once it is presented? Check out this post regarding the history of such decisions.
- Four possible Game 7 heroes.
- Boston’s mayor wants fans to react peacefully to tonight’s outcome, whether the Bruins win or lose.
- It’s unclear if Sean Bergenheim will play tonight.
- Claude Julien wants to improve his record in elimination games by beating Guy Boucher.
- Five things to watch in tonight’s game.
- Finally, check out Hockey Central’s video preview for Game 7.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)