May 27, 2011, 12:24 PM EDT
It’s so rare these days to see a goal that blows your mind completely and makes you watch the replay over and over again, but what Team Finland young stud and Minnesota Wild prospect Mikael Granlund did this year was something special.
Granlund’s lacrosse-style goal that he scored against Team Russia during the 2011 World Championships was truly a thing of beauty as Team Finland took out Russia in the tournament and went on to win the gold medal over rival Sweden. As these things go in Europe, big goals in international competition can earn you a fair amount of celebrity and for Granlund that’s no different as his incredible goal has landed him on a stamp.
While the Finns continue to revel in their first IIHF World Championships title since 1995, they can now share it with the rest of the world via mail as Granlund’s incredible goal to beat Konstantin Barulin will be immortalized for good via stamp. The last time we’ve seen something like that was 1994 when Peter Forsberg’s shootout goal against Corey Hirsch in the Olympics to beat Canada for the gold medal was similarly immortalized on a stamp in his home country of Sweden.
For Granlund, his next stop would seem likely to be in North America to make the Minnesota Wild roster where we can only hope that perhaps he’ll be able to do the same kind of magical things to spice things up in St. Paul to give Wild fans a reason to go crazy. There are rumors about the KHL trying to sway Granlund away but those, so far, appear to be unfounded. The NHL offers the biggest stage for players in the world, so bringing those stickhandling skills over here make a lot more sense. The money doesn’t hurt either.
If you’re a Finnish fan or a Wild fan looking to get in on buying the stamp for your collectibles, you can get them here.
(Thanks to Janne Virtanen @amateur_hockey for sharing the stamp via Twitter)
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 0
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)