May 27, 2011, 12:24 PM EST
It’s so rare these days to see a goal that blows your mind completely and makes you watch the replay over and over again, but what Team Finland young stud and Minnesota Wild prospect Mikael Granlund did this year was something special.
Granlund’s lacrosse-style goal that he scored against Team Russia during the 2011 World Championships was truly a thing of beauty as Team Finland took out Russia in the tournament and went on to win the gold medal over rival Sweden. As these things go in Europe, big goals in international competition can earn you a fair amount of celebrity and for Granlund that’s no different as his incredible goal has landed him on a stamp.
While the Finns continue to revel in their first IIHF World Championships title since 1995, they can now share it with the rest of the world via mail as Granlund’s incredible goal to beat Konstantin Barulin will be immortalized for good via stamp. The last time we’ve seen something like that was 1994 when Peter Forsberg’s shootout goal against Corey Hirsch in the Olympics to beat Canada for the gold medal was similarly immortalized on a stamp in his home country of Sweden.
For Granlund, his next stop would seem likely to be in North America to make the Minnesota Wild roster where we can only hope that perhaps he’ll be able to do the same kind of magical things to spice things up in St. Paul to give Wild fans a reason to go crazy. There are rumors about the KHL trying to sway Granlund away but those, so far, appear to be unfounded. The NHL offers the biggest stage for players in the world, so bringing those stickhandling skills over here make a lot more sense. The money doesn’t hurt either.
If you’re a Finnish fan or a Wild fan looking to get in on buying the stamp for your collectibles, you can get them here.
(Thanks to Janne Virtanen @amateur_hockey for sharing the stamp via Twitter)
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (165)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)