May 27, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
Tampa Bay was able to win Game 6 without one of their top contributors in the playoffs in Sean Bergenheim. The former Islanders prospect broke out in a big way in these playoffs scoring nine goals, a mark that puts him second in the playoffs behind David Krejci and Martin St. Louis. Considering that Bergenheim is a third line player, his offensive output is stunning and the sort of thing that playoff legends are made of. With him out of the lineup, the Lightning’s ability to score from three lines takes a hit.
This morning, Bergenheim took part in the team’s morning skate getting about 15 minutes of work in and doing some drills. Could we see another miraculous injury recovery out of Bergenheim? Coach Guy Boucher is tempering things just a bit.
CSN New England reports that Bergenheim will be doubtful for tonight’s Game 7.
Q. Sean Bergenheim looked a little bit better out there – at least to us – this morning. How optimistic are you that he’ll be available for you in Game 7 tonight?
COACH BOUCHER: I wouldn’t say optimistic for now. It’s better. He might try the warm-up. We’ll see. I’ve still got to talk to my therapists and doctors. There’s been some improvement. So to what extent, we’ll have to wait and see, but doubtful.
The Lightning did just fine scoring goals in Game 6 without Bergenheim as Martin St. Louis, Teddy Purcell, and Steve Stamkos all stepped up in a big way to provide the offense they needed to win. On the road for Game 7, however, it’s a different beast entirely and hoping that the Bruins will fail miserably on their power play for a second straight game while Tim Thomas struggles is asking for a lot. Chances are things will be tightened up on both sides of the puck and goals will be at a premium.
As for who takes Bergenheim’s spot should he not go, it’ll likely be Dana Tyrell once again. He played in Bergenheim’s place in Game 6 but played just over six minutes on the fourth line. Don’t expect much from him as Boucher is likely to ride the top three lines hard tonight. Then again, Tyrell could end up being the most unlikely of heroes or goats. Game 7’s have a funny way or playing out like that.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)