May 27, 2011, 11:15 AM EST
Ah to be a sports fan in Boston. After having so much success with all of their pro (and college) teams in recent years, fans of the Bruins are salivating at the chance that the Bruins are next in line to win it all. After all, the B’s have been awfully good in recent years and with the team not having won the Stanley Cup since 1972 fans are anxious. Heck, the Bruins haven’t even made the Stanley Cup finals since 1990 when Mark Messier and Petr Klima broke their hearts in five games.
With those sorts of hopes, dreams, and expectations all built up into tonight’s Game 7 Boston Mayor Thomas Menino is hoping that regardless of the outcome tonight that cooler heads will prevail amongst the fan base. After sad incidents after the Celtics won the NBA title in 2008 and Patriots and Red Sox titles in 2004 that saw fans lose their lives amid euphoria, Mayor Menino is hoping that Bruins fans will play things a bit cooler.
“My message to fans who go to the game, enjoy the game and cheer on the Bruins to victory and after the game, behave,” Mayor Menino said.
“There’s always a few knuckleheads. Let’s face it there’s always a few folks who really don’t understand the sport, who come in there, and have a few drinks and try to mar it but 99 percent of the folks come there to watch a game and celebrate,” Mayor Menino said.
Hear, hear Mayor Menino. After all, we’re sure Bruins fans would hate to be compared to their rivals from Montreal who made a scene after beating the Penguins in the playoffs last year by tearing up downtown and even torching cars to celebrate getting past Sidney Crosby‘s team in the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.
Surely Boston fans wouldn’t want to be put into the same category as Montreal fans, would they?
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 13
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)