May 27, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
Ah to be a sports fan in Boston. After having so much success with all of their pro (and college) teams in recent years, fans of the Bruins are salivating at the chance that the Bruins are next in line to win it all. After all, the B’s have been awfully good in recent years and with the team not having won the Stanley Cup since 1972 fans are anxious. Heck, the Bruins haven’t even made the Stanley Cup finals since 1990 when Mark Messier and Petr Klima broke their hearts in five games.
With those sorts of hopes, dreams, and expectations all built up into tonight’s Game 7 Boston Mayor Thomas Menino is hoping that regardless of the outcome tonight that cooler heads will prevail amongst the fan base. After sad incidents after the Celtics won the NBA title in 2008 and Patriots and Red Sox titles in 2004 that saw fans lose their lives amid euphoria, Mayor Menino is hoping that Bruins fans will play things a bit cooler.
“My message to fans who go to the game, enjoy the game and cheer on the Bruins to victory and after the game, behave,” Mayor Menino said.
“There’s always a few knuckleheads. Let’s face it there’s always a few folks who really don’t understand the sport, who come in there, and have a few drinks and try to mar it but 99 percent of the folks come there to watch a game and celebrate,” Mayor Menino said.
Hear, hear Mayor Menino. After all, we’re sure Bruins fans would hate to be compared to their rivals from Montreal who made a scene after beating the Penguins in the playoffs last year by tearing up downtown and even torching cars to celebrate getting past Sidney Crosby‘s team in the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.
Surely Boston fans wouldn’t want to be put into the same category as Montreal fans, would they?
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)