May 27, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
Ah to be a sports fan in Boston. After having so much success with all of their pro (and college) teams in recent years, fans of the Bruins are salivating at the chance that the Bruins are next in line to win it all. After all, the B’s have been awfully good in recent years and with the team not having won the Stanley Cup since 1972 fans are anxious. Heck, the Bruins haven’t even made the Stanley Cup finals since 1990 when Mark Messier and Petr Klima broke their hearts in five games.
With those sorts of hopes, dreams, and expectations all built up into tonight’s Game 7 Boston Mayor Thomas Menino is hoping that regardless of the outcome tonight that cooler heads will prevail amongst the fan base. After sad incidents after the Celtics won the NBA title in 2008 and Patriots and Red Sox titles in 2004 that saw fans lose their lives amid euphoria, Mayor Menino is hoping that Bruins fans will play things a bit cooler.
“My message to fans who go to the game, enjoy the game and cheer on the Bruins to victory and after the game, behave,” Mayor Menino said.
“There’s always a few knuckleheads. Let’s face it there’s always a few folks who really don’t understand the sport, who come in there, and have a few drinks and try to mar it but 99 percent of the folks come there to watch a game and celebrate,” Mayor Menino said.
Hear, hear Mayor Menino. After all, we’re sure Bruins fans would hate to be compared to their rivals from Montreal who made a scene after beating the Penguins in the playoffs last year by tearing up downtown and even torching cars to celebrate getting past Sidney Crosby‘s team in the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.
Surely Boston fans wouldn’t want to be put into the same category as Montreal fans, would they?
- Report: Hamilton to sign six-year deal with Flames 1
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 28
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 12
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 3
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 33
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)