May 26, 2011, 7:07 PM EDT
After last night’s Game 6 in Tampa, the Lightning and Bruins are set to play what should be a memorable Game 7 in Boston at 8 p.m. on Versus Friday night.
After what turned out to be a dud of a goaltending battle between Tim Thomas and Dwayne Roloson in Game 6, both teams will need to tighten things up defensively, the Bruins in particular. After giving up three power play goals in four chances, the Bruins defense and penalty kill units have some questions to answer for themselves. For three games in a row the Bruins PK shut things down nicely to frustrate the Lightning. Tampa’s effort to statistically correct things for themselves stunned Boston. They’ll need more of that in Game 7 if they want to make their first Stanley Cup finals since 2004.
If the Bruins are going to make their first finals since 1990 they’ll need to get back to “Bruins hockey” which means tough defense, great goaltending by Thomas, and getting the first goal of the game. Fast starts have helped the Bruins settle things down early and at home with the fans roaring behind them, getting ahead to start would help give Boston the edge with the fans getting even louder.
Versus’ Liam McHugh asks Keith Jones and Jeremy Roenick what both teams will need to do to clinch their spot in the Stanley Cup finals.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)