May 26, 2011, 5:23 PM EST
However you feel about the incident between Boston Bruins forward Nathan Horton and Tampa Bay Lightning fans, it sounds like there won’t be a fine or suspension to come from the situation. Damian Cristodero reports that NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said he “doesn’t expect any action of any kind” for Horton or the Lightning organization.
The closest example of “precedent” for the situation was John Tortorella’s one-game suspension for his water bottle-related blow-up with a Washington Capitals fan. Tortorella missed Game 6 of that 2009 series and the New York Rangers went on to lose the series in seven games.
There are some differences between the situation – differences in clarity of the video evidence, importance of the game and the fact that one culprit being a player vs. a coach are examples that come to mind – but there are enough similarities that many people might be upset about the decision.
Horton might not be a balanced two-way forward, but his big body and hard shot make him a significant presence in the Bruins lineup. The former Florida Panthers winger already has one Game 7 overtime game-winner on his resume from Boston’s first round series against the Montreal Canadiens. Horton has also been highly productive during the Eastern Conference finals, scoring two goals and four assists for six points in six games against the Lightning.
Now, Daly’s full comment was: “Based on what I know now, I don’t expect any action of any kind,” so maybe there’s a chance the league might take another look at the incident. Still, it’s safer to assume that Horton will indeed be in the lineup for what should be a fascinating Game 7 on Friday. We’ll let you know if anything changes, though.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 2
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 7
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 50
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 74
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)