May 25, 2011, 11:46 AM EST
With the Vancouver Canucks taking out the San Jose Sharks in five games of the Western Conference finals the talk all up until the Stanley Cup finals start will be about the way the Canucks punched their ticket to the finals.
Vancouver won Game 5 in double overtime thanks to a Kevin Bieksa goal that defies all description. It started with the Canucks locking down play in the San Jose end. They were able to bounce the puck around the zone and prevent the Sharks from taking control of things and clear the zone. Eventually the puck was worked around the perimeter and out to Alexander Edler.
Edler went to send the puck back deeper into the corner when he fired it along the glass. At that point, Versus’ Dave Strader and virtually everyone else on the ice lost sight of where the puck went. Kevin Bieksa was the one guy who did spot it as the puck bounced off a partition in the glass right to him as he fired the puck on net to beat Antti Niemi to win the game.
Bieksa’s shot wasn’t exactly the prettiest shot in the world as it knuckled and whirled towards the net just slipping past Niemi’s foot and into the corner of the net but it was good enough to put the Canucks into their first Stanley Cup finals since 1994. Back then it was Greg Adams beating the Toronto Maple Leafs in double overtime to send the Canucks off to face the New York Rangers in the Cup finals. Bieksa’s turn as the hero, even in the face of the wild bounces and freakish luck, will put him down in Canucks history as a hero.
Versus Dave Strader and Brian Engblom recap Game 5 and focus in on the wild play that ended the series.
- Devils fire DeBoer 5
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 1
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 8
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)