May 25, 2011, 5:28 PM EDT
The New York Islanders have often been the butt of jokes when it comes to contracts in the past. All you have to do is look at the money they’re still paying Alexei Yashin to go away and the 15-year deal they signed goalie Rick DiPietro to a few seasons ago. They’re getting better at this whole thing though thanks to GM Garth Snow and they’re making sure to take care of the guys that will be the cornerstones of the franchise’s future.
A couple weeks ago they signed Calder Trophy finalist Michael Grabner to a five year contract extension and today they’re taking care of winger Kyle Okposo. The Isles announced today that they’ve signed Okposo to a similar five year extension that Ken Campbell of The Hockey News reports to be worth $14 million, or just under $3 million a year under the salary cap.
Okposo was drafted by the Islanders in the first round, seventh overall back in 2006. Since then he’s carved his way out as a power forward with scoring touch. While his season was shortened by an injury during training camp and limited him to just 38 games, Okposo scored five goals and added 15 assists for the Isles as they rallied late in the year to improve their respectability in the standings and show the fans that perhaps the future on Long Island is a bright one. Last season, Okposo scored 19 goals and added 33 assists putting him second on the team with 52 points, just two behind John Tavares.
Okposo is the physical player on a line with fellow youngsters in Tavares and 30-goal scorer Matt Moulson. Those three along with young forwards like Grabner and Josh Bailey as well as Blake Comeau quietly give the Islanders a nice young corps of talent on their top two lines. With the Isles set to grab yet another top five pick at this year’s draft, things are really looking up for the organization. Perhaps the dark days are behind the once proud organization and with a possible deal to get a new arena built, fans on Long Island have every reason to be hopeful for the future.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)