May 25, 2011, 5:28 PM EST
The New York Islanders have often been the butt of jokes when it comes to contracts in the past. All you have to do is look at the money they’re still paying Alexei Yashin to go away and the 15-year deal they signed goalie Rick DiPietro to a few seasons ago. They’re getting better at this whole thing though thanks to GM Garth Snow and they’re making sure to take care of the guys that will be the cornerstones of the franchise’s future.
A couple weeks ago they signed Calder Trophy finalist Michael Grabner to a five year contract extension and today they’re taking care of winger Kyle Okposo. The Isles announced today that they’ve signed Okposo to a similar five year extension that Ken Campbell of The Hockey News reports to be worth $14 million, or just under $3 million a year under the salary cap.
Okposo was drafted by the Islanders in the first round, seventh overall back in 2006. Since then he’s carved his way out as a power forward with scoring touch. While his season was shortened by an injury during training camp and limited him to just 38 games, Okposo scored five goals and added 15 assists for the Isles as they rallied late in the year to improve their respectability in the standings and show the fans that perhaps the future on Long Island is a bright one. Last season, Okposo scored 19 goals and added 33 assists putting him second on the team with 52 points, just two behind John Tavares.
Okposo is the physical player on a line with fellow youngsters in Tavares and 30-goal scorer Matt Moulson. Those three along with young forwards like Grabner and Josh Bailey as well as Blake Comeau quietly give the Islanders a nice young corps of talent on their top two lines. With the Isles set to grab yet another top five pick at this year’s draft, things are really looking up for the organization. Perhaps the dark days are behind the once proud organization and with a possible deal to get a new arena built, fans on Long Island have every reason to be hopeful for the future.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 8
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)