May 24, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
This San Jose Sharks team has excelled in many ways that people rarely associate with their franchise. They avoided coughing up a 3-0 series lead against the Detroit Red Wings even if every game of the series was a nail-biter. The Sharks completed one of the best comebacks in playoff history against the Los Angeles Kings before gutting out a 4-2 series win. In a nutshell, this is a team Sharks fans should be proud of.
It’s quite possible that they met their match in the Vancouver Canucks, though. A lot of people want to say that the Sharks are choking, but that ignores the fact that the Canucks were far and away the best team in the NHL this season. Can you really choke if the other team is just better?
There are a few Sharks players who need to produce better results, though. Dany Heatley has been virtually invisible, a tough thing to stomach considering his $7.5 million annual salary cap hit. What might be more disturbing is the struggles of Joe Pavelski, who was a playoff hero in 2010.
Meanwhile, the Canucks are enjoying the benefits of the Sedin twins receiving some easier matchups than the previous two rounds. Henrik Sedin generated four assists in Game 4 while his brother Daniel had three of his own. That explosive performance placed Henrik alone atop the list of 2011 playoff scorers with 19 points.
Win or lose, we’ll find out something about these two teams in Game 5 (starting at 9 p.m. ET on Versus). Jeremy Roenick and Keith Jones provide their takes on this contest in the Hockey Central preview below.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)