May 24, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
This San Jose Sharks team has excelled in many ways that people rarely associate with their franchise. They avoided coughing up a 3-0 series lead against the Detroit Red Wings even if every game of the series was a nail-biter. The Sharks completed one of the best comebacks in playoff history against the Los Angeles Kings before gutting out a 4-2 series win. In a nutshell, this is a team Sharks fans should be proud of.
It’s quite possible that they met their match in the Vancouver Canucks, though. A lot of people want to say that the Sharks are choking, but that ignores the fact that the Canucks were far and away the best team in the NHL this season. Can you really choke if the other team is just better?
There are a few Sharks players who need to produce better results, though. Dany Heatley has been virtually invisible, a tough thing to stomach considering his $7.5 million annual salary cap hit. What might be more disturbing is the struggles of Joe Pavelski, who was a playoff hero in 2010.
Meanwhile, the Canucks are enjoying the benefits of the Sedin twins receiving some easier matchups than the previous two rounds. Henrik Sedin generated four assists in Game 4 while his brother Daniel had three of his own. That explosive performance placed Henrik alone atop the list of 2011 playoff scorers with 19 points.
Win or lose, we’ll find out something about these two teams in Game 5 (starting at 9 p.m. ET on Versus). Jeremy Roenick and Keith Jones provide their takes on this contest in the Hockey Central preview below.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 13
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 59
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 7
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional