May 24, 2011, 12:40 PM EDT
For whatever reason, Jaromir Jagr left the New York Rangers and the NHL with limited fanfare after 17 impressive seasons. Maybe it was because perceptions of his attitude (especially the way he left the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins) or just due to factors including his nationality, but it felt like his decision to leave for the KHL following the 2007-08 season was met with a shoulder shrug.
Perhaps I just wasn’t looking in the right places, though, because there’s clearly some interest in seeing the former star return to the NHL. Those people will be disappointed to learn that Dmitry Chesnokov passed along a report that Jagr’s agent said he is not considering any offers from NHL teams at the time.
It’s a shame that he won’t give it one more whirl, especially since he played so well in the 2008 playoffs. After “just” scoring 71 points during the 2007-08 season, Jagr was dominant at times in that postseason, scoring 15 points in 10 games.
Then again, there are two reasons he won’t come back. The first is that he likely won’t receive the kind of money playing in the NHL that he would in the KHL. There’s also the physical element that might deter him. Perhaps he looks back at that bone-rattling hit he received from Alex Ovechkin during the 2010 Olympics as evidence that he’s better off finishing his career overseas.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)