May 24, 2011, 12:40 PM EDT
For whatever reason, Jaromir Jagr left the New York Rangers and the NHL with limited fanfare after 17 impressive seasons. Maybe it was because perceptions of his attitude (especially the way he left the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins) or just due to factors including his nationality, but it felt like his decision to leave for the KHL following the 2007-08 season was met with a shoulder shrug.
Perhaps I just wasn’t looking in the right places, though, because there’s clearly some interest in seeing the former star return to the NHL. Those people will be disappointed to learn that Dmitry Chesnokov passed along a report that Jagr’s agent said he is not considering any offers from NHL teams at the time.
It’s a shame that he won’t give it one more whirl, especially since he played so well in the 2008 playoffs. After “just” scoring 71 points during the 2007-08 season, Jagr was dominant at times in that postseason, scoring 15 points in 10 games.
Then again, there are two reasons he won’t come back. The first is that he likely won’t receive the kind of money playing in the NHL that he would in the KHL. There’s also the physical element that might deter him. Perhaps he looks back at that bone-rattling hit he received from Alex Ovechkin during the 2010 Olympics as evidence that he’s better off finishing his career overseas.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)