May 24, 2011, 12:40 PM EDT
For whatever reason, Jaromir Jagr left the New York Rangers and the NHL with limited fanfare after 17 impressive seasons. Maybe it was because perceptions of his attitude (especially the way he left the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins) or just due to factors including his nationality, but it felt like his decision to leave for the KHL following the 2007-08 season was met with a shoulder shrug.
Perhaps I just wasn’t looking in the right places, though, because there’s clearly some interest in seeing the former star return to the NHL. Those people will be disappointed to learn that Dmitry Chesnokov passed along a report that Jagr’s agent said he is not considering any offers from NHL teams at the time.
It’s a shame that he won’t give it one more whirl, especially since he played so well in the 2008 playoffs. After “just” scoring 71 points during the 2007-08 season, Jagr was dominant at times in that postseason, scoring 15 points in 10 games.
Then again, there are two reasons he won’t come back. The first is that he likely won’t receive the kind of money playing in the NHL that he would in the KHL. There’s also the physical element that might deter him. Perhaps he looks back at that bone-rattling hit he received from Alex Ovechkin during the 2010 Olympics as evidence that he’s better off finishing his career overseas.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 46
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)