May 24, 2011, 12:19 PM EST
Much like Todd Bertuzzi, it seems like Steve Downie‘s reputation haunts him when it comes to penalties. The Tampa Bay Lightning power forward delivered some ugly hits – especially earlier in his career with the Philadelphia Flyers – and sometimes it seems like those moments are held against him. Sure, he’s still a bit of a troublemaker anyway, but it’s almost as if officials hold a flashlight to the skeletons in his closet on a game-by-game basis.
Some of the calls from Game 4 and 5 bring that concept to mind. Many people were rightly upset that Downie received a diving/embellishment penalty when he was the victim of a boarding hit in Game 4. Downie was on the wrong end of the whistle twice in Game 5: once by receiving a boarding penalty after hitting Johnny Boychuk and another time when Andrew Ference didn’t receive a minor for tripping Downie.
It was enough to make even a thick-skinned pest upset, which was revealed tellingly when he was seen stewing by himself on the Lightning bench following the game.
It’s been a rough couple games for Downie, but there is at least some reason for relief: he won’t receive a fine or suspension for that hit on Boychuk according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. The check seemed a little late, but not especially egregious compared to some of the hits that went without supplemental discipline in the 2011 playoffs. That being said, feel free to make a case for a fine and/or suspension in the comments.
This is a great break for the Lightning and Downie. He’s been a real asset for the team in the 2011 playoffs when he hasn’t been taking penalties (40 PIM in 15 games), with a near-point per game rate of 12 points in the postseason. We’ll see if this is a sign that luck is swinging Tampa Bay’s way after they were snake-bitten in Game 5.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)