May 24, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
Much like Todd Bertuzzi, it seems like Steve Downie‘s reputation haunts him when it comes to penalties. The Tampa Bay Lightning power forward delivered some ugly hits – especially earlier in his career with the Philadelphia Flyers – and sometimes it seems like those moments are held against him. Sure, he’s still a bit of a troublemaker anyway, but it’s almost as if officials hold a flashlight to the skeletons in his closet on a game-by-game basis.
Some of the calls from Game 4 and 5 bring that concept to mind. Many people were rightly upset that Downie received a diving/embellishment penalty when he was the victim of a boarding hit in Game 4. Downie was on the wrong end of the whistle twice in Game 5: once by receiving a boarding penalty after hitting Johnny Boychuk and another time when Andrew Ference didn’t receive a minor for tripping Downie.
It was enough to make even a thick-skinned pest upset, which was revealed tellingly when he was seen stewing by himself on the Lightning bench following the game.
It’s been a rough couple games for Downie, but there is at least some reason for relief: he won’t receive a fine or suspension for that hit on Boychuk according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. The check seemed a little late, but not especially egregious compared to some of the hits that went without supplemental discipline in the 2011 playoffs. That being said, feel free to make a case for a fine and/or suspension in the comments.
This is a great break for the Lightning and Downie. He’s been a real asset for the team in the 2011 playoffs when he hasn’t been taking penalties (40 PIM in 15 games), with a near-point per game rate of 12 points in the postseason. We’ll see if this is a sign that luck is swinging Tampa Bay’s way after they were snake-bitten in Game 5.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)