May 24, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Roloson has been the Lightning’s go-to goalie since he arrived in Tampa Bay via a trade with the New York Islanders. He went 18-12-4 with a 91.2 save percentage and 2.56 GAA during his regular season starts for the Lightning but really ramped things up in the playoffs, going 9-5 with a 92.5 save percentage and 2.51 GAA.
Roloson will put his undefeated streak in elimination games on the line in Game 6. (In this year’s playoffs alone, he fought off elimination three times against the Pittsburgh Penguins and only needed one chance to end the Washington Capitals’ season in Round 2.)
This decision essentially indicates that Boucher went with Roloson’s experience and reliability over Mike Smith‘s size and puck handling skills. That’s a tough break for Smith, who only allowed two tough goals in his limited playoff appearances. It seems like Smith’s passing skills are a good fit for Boucher’s 1-3-1 system, so I wonder if the team might be wise to re-sign him as their backup next season.
Still, you cannot fault Boucher for going with the “safer” choice, even if Roloson has been struggling in this series against Boston. Perhaps he simply needed a breather to get back to his previously exceptional level? You can find out in Game 6 on Versus at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 7
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 56
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (57)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)