May 23, 2011, 8:55 PM EDT
As Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz said, it seems like it will just be a matter of time before we hear an official announcement that the Atlanta Thrashers will relocate to Winnipeg. Earlier today, Joe passed along word that the final potential local owner who could keep the Thrashers in Atlanta is fading from the picture. Here are two more updates on that situation.
- Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said it’s “safe to say” that an announcement regarding the deal won’t come by Tuesday. True North and the Atlanta Spirit already reportedly agreed to a $170 million price tag (with $60 million going to the NHL as a relocation fee), but there are still a few hurdles to clear. Vivlamore points out that Monday is Queen Victoria Day in Canada, a bank holiday that probably stood in the way of certain elements being completed.
There are still a few things to sort out, perhaps most notably being an affirmative vote by the NHL Board of Governors. Whether an announcement comes Tuesday, later this week or any other time, we’ll keep you updated.
- As we’ve mentioned before, the chances of a local group keeping the Thrashers in Atlanta keep getting slimmer. There is a small nugget of decent news for people keeping the dream alive, though.
The Atlanta Spirit and San Diego Padres owner John Moores closed their window of exclusivity regarding the sale of the Atlanta Hawks, according to Tim Tucker. The closing of that window opens up the possibility of a buyer gobbling up a package deal that would include the Thrashers, Hawks and the home of both teams: Phillips Arena.
Making such a deal might produce a better chance to produce profits than owning the Thrashers alone, but Tucker reports that the Atlanta Spirit said that a qualified buyer hasn’t emerged to purchase all three entities. (Obviously the entire package deal would be prohibitively expensive and arguably an even bigger risk for an ownership group.)
The lifting of that exclusivity window can allow people to hope for a last minute miracle, but logic still points to a Thrashers move. Stick with PHT for updates on this situation as it heats up this week (and beyond).
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)