May 22, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
The Sharks tough 4-2 loss in Game 4 to the Canucks came with a price. Not only are the Sharks now down 3-1 in the series that’s headed back to Vancouver with the possibility of seeing the Canucks clinching a spot in the Stanley Cup final, but San Jose could be without their captain in that game.
Joe Thornton was knocked out of Game 4 in the third period thanks to a heavy hit from Canucks forward Raffi Torres. Torres’ hit caught Thornton off guard and caused Thornton to fall awkwardly to the ice. While Thornton popped back up after the hit, he was holding his left arm gingerly as he skated back to the bench. Thornton headed back to the locker room for treatment and did not return to the ice.
After the game, Sharks coach Todd McLellan was asked about Thornton’s status and gave this update.
Q. Can you update us on Thornton’s situation?
COACH McLELLAN: I can’t right now. We’ll see once I get an update.
We’re not about to play amateur doctor here and guess what’s ailing Thornton, but seeing him holding his arm the way he was when he left the ice to be treated has to give the Sharks extreme concern. After all, if you’re going into an elimination game without arguably your best forward, you’re starting off in a bad way from the get go. We’ll find out more about Thornton’s condition later on, but right now the Sharks have every reason to be worried ahead of Game 5.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 31
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (80)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness