May 22, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
The first period ended in a conveniently consistent way: by a bottom-six Vancouver Canucks forward taking an unnecessary penalty. This time around it was Raffi Torres getting whistled for a comically obvious charge, which will give the San Jose Sharks a full two minute power play to begin the second period.
San Jose 0, Vancouver 0 (end of first)
On the bright side, the Canucks played a more passionate game of hockey through the first 20 minutes. They’re gathering speed nicely through the neutral zone, winning a lot of puck battles and just seem to be honed-in on Game 4. Unfortunately, they couldn’t match their aggressiveness with attention to detail, taking four penalties including that final Torres charge.
As Mike Milbury and Pierre McGuire pointed out, Alain Vigneault made a blunder by putting Tanner Glass out on the ice to start things off. Glass took the first of his two dumb penalties just 26 seconds into the game, putting a dangerous Sharks power play on the ice less than a minute into the game.
Roberto Luongo was strong in that first period, making 10 saves to help Vancouver maintain a tie through the first period, the type of result a road team cannot complain about in the playoffs. Antti Niemi survived what was probably the most dangerous moment of the first 20 minutes by stopping two shots that resulted from a shorthanded 2-on-1 rush during that first power play.
The Sharks must be disappointed that they squandered some nice opportunities on the power play while the Canucks once again find themselves dealing with some discipline issues. We’ll see how both teams respond to their own issues in the second period and beyond.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 0
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 47
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 22
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)