May 21, 2011, 9:20 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks knew that Game 3 wasn’t a do-or-die contest, but they still took it to the Vancouver Canucks to make a series of the Western Conference finals. The team’s collective efforts really stood out to me, whether it was Marc-Edouard Vlasic sprawling over the puck to drain precious seconds off of a second period 5-on-3 or Douglas Murray using his sizable frame to block some hard shots.
Sure, Patrick Marleau received a lot of the credit thanks to three-point performance, but almost the entire Sharks squad seemed on top of things during Game 3. They took a 3-0 early lead and survived an epic Jamie McGinn blunder to cut Vancouver’s series lead in half by winning 4-3.
While they did the “little things” better than any other game in this series, the biggest difference between the Sharks and Canucks was discipline. When you gather two highly talented teams like these, mistakes will often make the difference. Vancouver ultimately made more than San Jose in Game 3.
That’s the main topic of discussion in Mike Milbury’s breakdown of Game 3 and preview for Game 4, which you can watch in the video below.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)