May 21, 2011, 9:20 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks knew that Game 3 wasn’t a do-or-die contest, but they still took it to the Vancouver Canucks to make a series of the Western Conference finals. The team’s collective efforts really stood out to me, whether it was Marc-Edouard Vlasic sprawling over the puck to drain precious seconds off of a second period 5-on-3 or Douglas Murray using his sizable frame to block some hard shots.
Sure, Patrick Marleau received a lot of the credit thanks to three-point performance, but almost the entire Sharks squad seemed on top of things during Game 3. They took a 3-0 early lead and survived an epic Jamie McGinn blunder to cut Vancouver’s series lead in half by winning 4-3.
While they did the “little things” better than any other game in this series, the biggest difference between the Sharks and Canucks was discipline. When you gather two highly talented teams like these, mistakes will often make the difference. Vancouver ultimately made more than San Jose in Game 3.
That’s the main topic of discussion in Mike Milbury’s breakdown of Game 3 and preview for Game 4, which you can watch in the video below.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)