May 21, 2011, 9:20 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks knew that Game 3 wasn’t a do-or-die contest, but they still took it to the Vancouver Canucks to make a series of the Western Conference finals. The team’s collective efforts really stood out to me, whether it was Marc-Edouard Vlasic sprawling over the puck to drain precious seconds off of a second period 5-on-3 or Douglas Murray using his sizable frame to block some hard shots.
Sure, Patrick Marleau received a lot of the credit thanks to three-point performance, but almost the entire Sharks squad seemed on top of things during Game 3. They took a 3-0 early lead and survived an epic Jamie McGinn blunder to cut Vancouver’s series lead in half by winning 4-3.
While they did the “little things” better than any other game in this series, the biggest difference between the Sharks and Canucks was discipline. When you gather two highly talented teams like these, mistakes will often make the difference. Vancouver ultimately made more than San Jose in Game 3.
That’s the main topic of discussion in Mike Milbury’s breakdown of Game 3 and preview for Game 4, which you can watch in the video below.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 24
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)