May 21, 2011, 9:20 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks knew that Game 3 wasn’t a do-or-die contest, but they still took it to the Vancouver Canucks to make a series of the Western Conference finals. The team’s collective efforts really stood out to me, whether it was Marc-Edouard Vlasic sprawling over the puck to drain precious seconds off of a second period 5-on-3 or Douglas Murray using his sizable frame to block some hard shots.
Sure, Patrick Marleau received a lot of the credit thanks to three-point performance, but almost the entire Sharks squad seemed on top of things during Game 3. They took a 3-0 early lead and survived an epic Jamie McGinn blunder to cut Vancouver’s series lead in half by winning 4-3.
While they did the “little things” better than any other game in this series, the biggest difference between the Sharks and Canucks was discipline. When you gather two highly talented teams like these, mistakes will often make the difference. Vancouver ultimately made more than San Jose in Game 3.
That’s the main topic of discussion in Mike Milbury’s breakdown of Game 3 and preview for Game 4, which you can watch in the video below.
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 8
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 37
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton