May 21, 2011, 11:21 AM EDT
Last night’s Canucks-Sharks Game 3 nearly took a turn for the worse for San Jose thanks to a careless boarding major taken by fourth line forward Jamie McGinn. McGinn took a run at Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome as Rome was facing the boards. McGinn crashed into Rome and put him down on the ice and bleeding. McGinn was given a five minute major for boarding and assessed a game misconduct.
As with most nasty hits in the NHL, especially in the playoffs, the NHL is taking a closer look at things. According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, the NHL has scheduled a phone hearing with McGinn to possibly levy a suspension against him for the hit.
McGinn’s penalty led to the Canucks scoring twice on the major power play and changing the game from a dominating 4-1 Sharks lead to a perilous 4-3 advantage with just under four minutes left to play. While the Sharks hung on to win, you’d have to think that whether the league suspends McGinn or not we probably won’t see him suiting up for Game 4. Of course, that could mean we see the return of Game 2 pariah Ben Eager.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)