May 21, 2011, 11:21 AM EDT
Last night’s Canucks-Sharks Game 3 nearly took a turn for the worse for San Jose thanks to a careless boarding major taken by fourth line forward Jamie McGinn. McGinn took a run at Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome as Rome was facing the boards. McGinn crashed into Rome and put him down on the ice and bleeding. McGinn was given a five minute major for boarding and assessed a game misconduct.
As with most nasty hits in the NHL, especially in the playoffs, the NHL is taking a closer look at things. According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, the NHL has scheduled a phone hearing with McGinn to possibly levy a suspension against him for the hit.
McGinn’s penalty led to the Canucks scoring twice on the major power play and changing the game from a dominating 4-1 Sharks lead to a perilous 4-3 advantage with just under four minutes left to play. While the Sharks hung on to win, you’d have to think that whether the league suspends McGinn or not we probably won’t see him suiting up for Game 4. Of course, that could mean we see the return of Game 2 pariah Ben Eager.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)