May 21, 2011, 11:21 AM EDT
Last night’s Canucks-Sharks Game 3 nearly took a turn for the worse for San Jose thanks to a careless boarding major taken by fourth line forward Jamie McGinn. McGinn took a run at Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome as Rome was facing the boards. McGinn crashed into Rome and put him down on the ice and bleeding. McGinn was given a five minute major for boarding and assessed a game misconduct.
As with most nasty hits in the NHL, especially in the playoffs, the NHL is taking a closer look at things. According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, the NHL has scheduled a phone hearing with McGinn to possibly levy a suspension against him for the hit.
McGinn’s penalty led to the Canucks scoring twice on the major power play and changing the game from a dominating 4-1 Sharks lead to a perilous 4-3 advantage with just under four minutes left to play. While the Sharks hung on to win, you’d have to think that whether the league suspends McGinn or not we probably won’t see him suiting up for Game 4. Of course, that could mean we see the return of Game 2 pariah Ben Eager.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 14
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)