May 21, 2011, 11:21 AM EST
Last night’s Canucks-Sharks Game 3 nearly took a turn for the worse for San Jose thanks to a careless boarding major taken by fourth line forward Jamie McGinn. McGinn took a run at Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome as Rome was facing the boards. McGinn crashed into Rome and put him down on the ice and bleeding. McGinn was given a five minute major for boarding and assessed a game misconduct.
As with most nasty hits in the NHL, especially in the playoffs, the NHL is taking a closer look at things. According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, the NHL has scheduled a phone hearing with McGinn to possibly levy a suspension against him for the hit.
McGinn’s penalty led to the Canucks scoring twice on the major power play and changing the game from a dominating 4-1 Sharks lead to a perilous 4-3 advantage with just under four minutes left to play. While the Sharks hung on to win, you’d have to think that whether the league suspends McGinn or not we probably won’t see him suiting up for Game 4. Of course, that could mean we see the return of Game 2 pariah Ben Eager.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)