May 21, 2011, 11:21 AM EDT
Last night’s Canucks-Sharks Game 3 nearly took a turn for the worse for San Jose thanks to a careless boarding major taken by fourth line forward Jamie McGinn. McGinn took a run at Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome as Rome was facing the boards. McGinn crashed into Rome and put him down on the ice and bleeding. McGinn was given a five minute major for boarding and assessed a game misconduct.
As with most nasty hits in the NHL, especially in the playoffs, the NHL is taking a closer look at things. According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, the NHL has scheduled a phone hearing with McGinn to possibly levy a suspension against him for the hit.
McGinn’s penalty led to the Canucks scoring twice on the major power play and changing the game from a dominating 4-1 Sharks lead to a perilous 4-3 advantage with just under four minutes left to play. While the Sharks hung on to win, you’d have to think that whether the league suspends McGinn or not we probably won’t see him suiting up for Game 4. Of course, that could mean we see the return of Game 2 pariah Ben Eager.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)