May 20, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks went into the third period trailing by a single goal, giving the Vancouver Canucks a good fight through the first 40 minutes. While some of the team’s third period struggles have been a bit overblown, that premise gained some serious credence as the Sharks absolutely unraveled in the final frame.
Ben Eager put the biggest black eye on the game with his foolish array of penalties, but Ryane Clowe had his low moments as well. Either way, the Canucks absolutely took advantage of San Jose’s lapses in discipline by scoring two power-play goals to make it 5-2 and eventually finished the game with a 7-3 win.
This game is obviously more important for the Sharks than it is for the Canucks, so the team needs to take advantage of their home crowd (and the advantages that come with having the last change) to try to turn the tide of the series. That means testing Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo more often, doing a better job of providing their own goalie Antti Niemi with better support and avoiding dumb penalties that hurt them on the scoreboard.
“Iron” Mike Keenan and Keith Jones discuss what the Sharks need to change and what the Canucks should continue to do in Game 3 of the series, which takes place at 9 p.m. ET on Versus.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 14
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 10
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 11
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 96
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)