May 20, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks went into the third period trailing by a single goal, giving the Vancouver Canucks a good fight through the first 40 minutes. While some of the team’s third period struggles have been a bit overblown, that premise gained some serious credence as the Sharks absolutely unraveled in the final frame.
Ben Eager put the biggest black eye on the game with his foolish array of penalties, but Ryane Clowe had his low moments as well. Either way, the Canucks absolutely took advantage of San Jose’s lapses in discipline by scoring two power-play goals to make it 5-2 and eventually finished the game with a 7-3 win.
This game is obviously more important for the Sharks than it is for the Canucks, so the team needs to take advantage of their home crowd (and the advantages that come with having the last change) to try to turn the tide of the series. That means testing Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo more often, doing a better job of providing their own goalie Antti Niemi with better support and avoiding dumb penalties that hurt them on the scoreboard.
“Iron” Mike Keenan and Keith Jones discuss what the Sharks need to change and what the Canucks should continue to do in Game 3 of the series, which takes place at 9 p.m. ET on Versus.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 1
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 3
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 30
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 44
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (44)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)