May 20, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks went into the third period trailing by a single goal, giving the Vancouver Canucks a good fight through the first 40 minutes. While some of the team’s third period struggles have been a bit overblown, that premise gained some serious credence as the Sharks absolutely unraveled in the final frame.
Ben Eager put the biggest black eye on the game with his foolish array of penalties, but Ryane Clowe had his low moments as well. Either way, the Canucks absolutely took advantage of San Jose’s lapses in discipline by scoring two power-play goals to make it 5-2 and eventually finished the game with a 7-3 win.
This game is obviously more important for the Sharks than it is for the Canucks, so the team needs to take advantage of their home crowd (and the advantages that come with having the last change) to try to turn the tide of the series. That means testing Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo more often, doing a better job of providing their own goalie Antti Niemi with better support and avoiding dumb penalties that hurt them on the scoreboard.
“Iron” Mike Keenan and Keith Jones discuss what the Sharks need to change and what the Canucks should continue to do in Game 3 of the series, which takes place at 9 p.m. ET on Versus.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)