May 20, 2011, 12:23 PM EST
While many fans will criticize the Atlanta market for the very likely relocation of its second NHL franchise, people with more intimate knowledge blame ownership. Ultimately, the Atlanta Spirit never really did what was necessary to put a strong Atlanta Thrashers team on the ice. The team only made the playoffs once and failed to earn a single postseason win in that trip.
(It’s not like the Atlanta Spirit have been particularly outstanding at running the Atlanta Hawks, either. Joe Johnson is a talented basketball player no doubt, but giving him a $100 million contract is baffling.)
Still, one could give the Atlanta Spirit a break if they handled things with a bit more class. Instead, there are reports that they continue to sell tickets amid all the writing-on-the-wall rumors.
Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta-Journal Constitution reports the Thrashers are still selling season tickets today, with one being sold. (I guess that person or business group doesn’t follow the news very closely, do they?) The Atlanta-Journal constitution also runs a regular “Ice Man” column that provides a fan’s perspective via Ben Tiller, who wrote this about the team continuing to run their regular “Select-a-Seat” promotion on Saturday.
Finally, to the members of the AS, LLC I make this challenge. If the reports are true and you have been plotting and scheming for months to rip this franchise from this community, then cancel the Select A Seat event scheduled for tomorrow. Do not continue this ruse…this deception…this scam …this tease one day longer. Do not accept a single dollar for tickets to games for a season you know will not happen in Atlanta.
In short, do the decent, honorable and upright thing…for once…and let the fans know today the truth of the situation. Don’t give an eager media looking to depict the turnout misrepresent the reality of the situation.
That way, you can at least say you were up-front and honest with us if even just this once in your disastrous seven years as owners…and Saturday afternoon can be a time of support, remembering and good-byes for those who plan on gathering at the Gulch.
Somehow, given the history, I’m not holding my breath …”
As Tiller pointed out earlier in his column, that Select-a-Seat event would likely attract local media members to document a moment that would make the Atlanta Spirit look rather silly. Thrashers fans are planning a rally to save the team for tomorrow, but with last night’s rumors and word that ownership is trying to squeeze every last buck out of the situation, it’s tough to imagine that rally being particularly spirited on Saturday.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 62
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (114)