May 20, 2011, 1:34 PM EST
By now you’ve hopefully heard the strong rumor that the Atlanta Thrashers will relocate to Winnipeg. Sure, there have been some steadfast denials and the Atlanta Spirit are still selling Thrashers tickets, but most signs indicate that it’s just a matter of time.
Thrashers fans are planning a rally to save the team while Winnipeg hockey fans are already celebrating the return of the NHL after a 15-year absence. There is a caveat for those Winnipeg fans if they do get what they’ve been wishing for: that NHL team might not be known as the Winnipeg Jets. As you may already know, the NHL/Phoenix Coyotes owns the rights to the Jets name and might not want to give up the money generated from selling Jets memorabilia to nostalgic hockey fans.
Still, it’s possible that the Winnipeg Jets could be re-born. With that in mind, we thought we should ask you: if the Thrashers move to Winnipeg, what should the team be named? Here are a few of the more prominent options.
Jets: The most obvious choice for nostalgic (and awesome retro logo) reasons, but again, it would require some maneuvering to get the name back … if they could.
Thrashers: Should Winnipeg go the unexpected route and actually use the old mascot?
Manitoba Moose: That’s the name of the AHL team that currently inhabits the MTS Centre in Winnipeg. Some think that True North will want to move that team name to the NHL.
Falcons: This would represent more of a “fresh start” rather than bringing in the “baggage” that comes with choosing Jets or Thrashers and wouldn’t take away the name of the area minor league team, either. The Winnipeg Free Press points out this option because the Falcons played in the 1920 Olympics, giving it an interesting history aspect anyway.
Rebels: A nod to Winnipeg’s history (plus it sounds cool and shouldn’t carry any negative Civil War connotations).
Warriors/Wombats/Wizards: Hopefully the team doesn’t go the alliteration route, but you never know.
OK, so those are a few prominent choices, but suggest your own in the poll by writing in your favorite choice in the “Other” category. Either way, let us know your favorite choice by voting below.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 3
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)