May 20, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT
By now you’ve hopefully heard the strong rumor that the Atlanta Thrashers will relocate to Winnipeg. Sure, there have been some steadfast denials and the Atlanta Spirit are still selling Thrashers tickets, but most signs indicate that it’s just a matter of time.
Thrashers fans are planning a rally to save the team while Winnipeg hockey fans are already celebrating the return of the NHL after a 15-year absence. There is a caveat for those Winnipeg fans if they do get what they’ve been wishing for: that NHL team might not be known as the Winnipeg Jets. As you may already know, the NHL/Phoenix Coyotes owns the rights to the Jets name and might not want to give up the money generated from selling Jets memorabilia to nostalgic hockey fans.
Still, it’s possible that the Winnipeg Jets could be re-born. With that in mind, we thought we should ask you: if the Thrashers move to Winnipeg, what should the team be named? Here are a few of the more prominent options.
Jets: The most obvious choice for nostalgic (and awesome retro logo) reasons, but again, it would require some maneuvering to get the name back … if they could.
Thrashers: Should Winnipeg go the unexpected route and actually use the old mascot?
Manitoba Moose: That’s the name of the AHL team that currently inhabits the MTS Centre in Winnipeg. Some think that True North will want to move that team name to the NHL.
Falcons: This would represent more of a “fresh start” rather than bringing in the “baggage” that comes with choosing Jets or Thrashers and wouldn’t take away the name of the area minor league team, either. The Winnipeg Free Press points out this option because the Falcons played in the 1920 Olympics, giving it an interesting history aspect anyway.
Rebels: A nod to Winnipeg’s history (plus it sounds cool and shouldn’t carry any negative Civil War connotations).
Warriors/Wombats/Wizards: Hopefully the team doesn’t go the alliteration route, but you never know.
OK, so those are a few prominent choices, but suggest your own in the poll by writing in your favorite choice in the “Other” category. Either way, let us know your favorite choice by voting below.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)