May 20, 2011, 9:15 PM EDT
After all the talk and well wishes and hopes that Sharks coach Todd McLellan had for tough guy Ben Eager after Eager’s brutal play in Game 2, it looks like he won’t take a chance that Eager will do the same tonight.
Eager will be a healthy scratch for Game 3 with the team down 2-0 in the series. In Game 2, Eager had six penalties for 20 minutes as well as a late goal in the Sharks 7-3 loss to Vancouver. Eager also found ways to energize the Canucks in all the wrong ways with a hit from behind on Daniel Sedin as well as taunting Roberto Luongo after scoring late in the third period of a blowout game.
Joining Eager as healthy scratches are Scott Nichol and Benn Ferriero. Entering into the lineup for San Jose are Jamal Mayers, Jamie McGinn, and Andrew Desjardins. It seems clear that McLellan didn’t want to take the chance of having Eager meltdown in Game 3 and risk taking another bad penalty or two. McLellan bulking down his entire fourth line is a substantial shakeup for this team.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)