May 20, 2011, 9:15 PM EST
After all the talk and well wishes and hopes that Sharks coach Todd McLellan had for tough guy Ben Eager after Eager’s brutal play in Game 2, it looks like he won’t take a chance that Eager will do the same tonight.
Eager will be a healthy scratch for Game 3 with the team down 2-0 in the series. In Game 2, Eager had six penalties for 20 minutes as well as a late goal in the Sharks 7-3 loss to Vancouver. Eager also found ways to energize the Canucks in all the wrong ways with a hit from behind on Daniel Sedin as well as taunting Roberto Luongo after scoring late in the third period of a blowout game.
Joining Eager as healthy scratches are Scott Nichol and Benn Ferriero. Entering into the lineup for San Jose are Jamal Mayers, Jamie McGinn, and Andrew Desjardins. It seems clear that McLellan didn’t want to take the chance of having Eager meltdown in Game 3 and risk taking another bad penalty or two. McLellan bulking down his entire fourth line is a substantial shakeup for this team.
- Mike Richards clears waivers 12
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 9
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)