May 19, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
While you may not have noticed over the last few games for Vancouver, they’re doing well in spite of being without one of their key forwards. Mikael Samuelsson was knocked out of Game 5 of Vancouver’s series against Nashville and hasn’t played in any of Vancouver’s three games since then and for good reason too.
Vancouver announced that Samuelsson successfully underwent surgery to repair a torn adductor tendon and a sports hernia and will be out indefinitely the rest of the playoffs. Considering how serious the injuries sound, you’d have to believe that Samuelsson is done for the remainder of the playoffs.
Through 11 games in the playoffs, Samuelsson had a goal and two assists. Through the regular season Samuelsson was a key depth contributor for the Canucks scoring 18 goals and adding 32 assists. Samuelsson’s role also as a former Stanley Cup winner with the Detroit Red Wings gave them some veteran experience.
That said, Vancouver isn’t exactly missing Samuelsson in the playoffs as they’ve gotten superhuman play from Ryan Kesler in the Nashville series and the Sedin twins are doing everything imaginable against the Sharks. When those three haven’t been getting it done, they’ve gotten great support play from Alex Burrows and Chris Higgins instead. We’ll get to see how much not having Samuelsson affects their play the rest of the way through the playoffs and whether or not that shot to their depth comes with a price.
- Risk Factors: Philadelphia Flyers edition 0
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 7
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 18
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout (26)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)