May 19, 2011, 5:20 PM EST
While you may not have noticed over the last few games for Vancouver, they’re doing well in spite of being without one of their key forwards. Mikael Samuelsson was knocked out of Game 5 of Vancouver’s series against Nashville and hasn’t played in any of Vancouver’s three games since then and for good reason too.
Vancouver announced that Samuelsson successfully underwent surgery to repair a torn adductor tendon and a sports hernia and will be out indefinitely the rest of the playoffs. Considering how serious the injuries sound, you’d have to believe that Samuelsson is done for the remainder of the playoffs.
Through 11 games in the playoffs, Samuelsson had a goal and two assists. Through the regular season Samuelsson was a key depth contributor for the Canucks scoring 18 goals and adding 32 assists. Samuelsson’s role also as a former Stanley Cup winner with the Detroit Red Wings gave them some veteran experience.
That said, Vancouver isn’t exactly missing Samuelsson in the playoffs as they’ve gotten superhuman play from Ryan Kesler in the Nashville series and the Sedin twins are doing everything imaginable against the Sharks. When those three haven’t been getting it done, they’ve gotten great support play from Alex Burrows and Chris Higgins instead. We’ll get to see how much not having Samuelsson affects their play the rest of the way through the playoffs and whether or not that shot to their depth comes with a price.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)