May 18, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks managed to take care of business against the San Jose Sharks in Game 1, but it wasn’t easy. In fact, it was basically the type of game many of us expected: tight-checking yet exciting, if a little bit messy at times. (We’re looking at you, Roberto Luongo.)
After falling behind by a goal in both the first and second periods, the Canucks eventually overwhelmed the Sharks in the third. Out of the final 28 shots, Vancouver sent 21 in Antti Niemi‘s direction. People will probably look at the outcome in two different ways: either the Canucks wore down their opponents or San Jose ran out of gas thanks to that seven-game series against the Detroit Red Wings.
Fatigue won’t be a great excuse in Game 2 since the Sharks and Canucks received an extra night off (Game 1 was on Sunday). Want a primer on tonight’s contest, which takes place on Versus at 9 p.m.? Check out what the Hockey Central gang has to say about it in the video below.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39