May 18, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks managed to take care of business against the San Jose Sharks in Game 1, but it wasn’t easy. In fact, it was basically the type of game many of us expected: tight-checking yet exciting, if a little bit messy at times. (We’re looking at you, Roberto Luongo.)
After falling behind by a goal in both the first and second periods, the Canucks eventually overwhelmed the Sharks in the third. Out of the final 28 shots, Vancouver sent 21 in Antti Niemi‘s direction. People will probably look at the outcome in two different ways: either the Canucks wore down their opponents or San Jose ran out of gas thanks to that seven-game series against the Detroit Red Wings.
Fatigue won’t be a great excuse in Game 2 since the Sharks and Canucks received an extra night off (Game 1 was on Sunday). Want a primer on tonight’s contest, which takes place on Versus at 9 p.m.? Check out what the Hockey Central gang has to say about it in the video below.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 1
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55