May 18, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks managed to take care of business against the San Jose Sharks in Game 1, but it wasn’t easy. In fact, it was basically the type of game many of us expected: tight-checking yet exciting, if a little bit messy at times. (We’re looking at you, Roberto Luongo.)
After falling behind by a goal in both the first and second periods, the Canucks eventually overwhelmed the Sharks in the third. Out of the final 28 shots, Vancouver sent 21 in Antti Niemi‘s direction. People will probably look at the outcome in two different ways: either the Canucks wore down their opponents or San Jose ran out of gas thanks to that seven-game series against the Detroit Red Wings.
Fatigue won’t be a great excuse in Game 2 since the Sharks and Canucks received an extra night off (Game 1 was on Sunday). Want a primer on tonight’s contest, which takes place on Versus at 9 p.m.? Check out what the Hockey Central gang has to say about it in the video below.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5