May 18, 2011, 6:14 PM EST
Let’s take a quick look at the latest bit of Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg/True North news, shall we?
- Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution passes along a note from an Atlanta Thrashers fan about a rally to keep the team. The rally is expected to take place on Saturday from 12-4 p.m. ET. Rally organizer Lisa Lewis wrote that she hopes to gather some local media personalities such as Dan Kamal to speak during the event, which is also expected to include tailgating activities.
- In case you didn’t follow yesterday’s scuttlebutt, the word was that True North was looking to the city of Winnipeg to help deal with some debt to purchase the Thrashers.
If you believe Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger, then taxpayers won’t be responsible for that burden. Selinger said that the province “has no interest in supporting the operations of a professional hockey team,” according to The Canadian Press.
Here are a few more details from that report.
He says the province also doesn’t have anything to do with the negotiations between True North Sports and Entertainment Ltd. and the Atlanta Thrashers.
But Selinger says the province will do what it can to help make the city a desirable place to relocate the Thrashers.
He says the province could help with any renovations that might need to be done to the MTS Centre to support a team.
- Again, J.B. Smith (the man formerly known as “The Balkan”) likely won’t be the man in shining armor for those hoping that the Thrashers will stay in Atlanta. Someone else will need to come out of the woodwork for that to happen.
- Sure, it wasn’t exactly the warmest endorsement you’ll ever see, but original Thrashers owner Ted Turner wants the team to stay. Here’s the rather uncomfortable interview he did with Sam Crenshaw.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 0
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 1
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 10
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 8
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 26
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4