May 18, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
Let’s take a quick look at the latest bit of Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg/True North news, shall we?
- Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution passes along a note from an Atlanta Thrashers fan about a rally to keep the team. The rally is expected to take place on Saturday from 12-4 p.m. ET. Rally organizer Lisa Lewis wrote that she hopes to gather some local media personalities such as Dan Kamal to speak during the event, which is also expected to include tailgating activities.
- In case you didn’t follow yesterday’s scuttlebutt, the word was that True North was looking to the city of Winnipeg to help deal with some debt to purchase the Thrashers.
If you believe Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger, then taxpayers won’t be responsible for that burden. Selinger said that the province “has no interest in supporting the operations of a professional hockey team,” according to The Canadian Press.
Here are a few more details from that report.
He says the province also doesn’t have anything to do with the negotiations between True North Sports and Entertainment Ltd. and the Atlanta Thrashers.
But Selinger says the province will do what it can to help make the city a desirable place to relocate the Thrashers.
He says the province could help with any renovations that might need to be done to the MTS Centre to support a team.
- Again, J.B. Smith (the man formerly known as “The Balkan”) likely won’t be the man in shining armor for those hoping that the Thrashers will stay in Atlanta. Someone else will need to come out of the woodwork for that to happen.
- Sure, it wasn’t exactly the warmest endorsement you’ll ever see, but original Thrashers owner Ted Turner wants the team to stay. Here’s the rather uncomfortable interview he did with Sam Crenshaw.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 4
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 36
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6