May 18, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
Let’s take a quick look at the latest bit of Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg/True North news, shall we?
- Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution passes along a note from an Atlanta Thrashers fan about a rally to keep the team. The rally is expected to take place on Saturday from 12-4 p.m. ET. Rally organizer Lisa Lewis wrote that she hopes to gather some local media personalities such as Dan Kamal to speak during the event, which is also expected to include tailgating activities.
- In case you didn’t follow yesterday’s scuttlebutt, the word was that True North was looking to the city of Winnipeg to help deal with some debt to purchase the Thrashers.
If you believe Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger, then taxpayers won’t be responsible for that burden. Selinger said that the province “has no interest in supporting the operations of a professional hockey team,” according to The Canadian Press.
Here are a few more details from that report.
He says the province also doesn’t have anything to do with the negotiations between True North Sports and Entertainment Ltd. and the Atlanta Thrashers.
But Selinger says the province will do what it can to help make the city a desirable place to relocate the Thrashers.
He says the province could help with any renovations that might need to be done to the MTS Centre to support a team.
- Again, J.B. Smith (the man formerly known as “The Balkan”) likely won’t be the man in shining armor for those hoping that the Thrashers will stay in Atlanta. Someone else will need to come out of the woodwork for that to happen.
- Sure, it wasn’t exactly the warmest endorsement you’ll ever see, but original Thrashers owner Ted Turner wants the team to stay. Here’s the rather uncomfortable interview he did with Sam Crenshaw.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)