May 18, 2011, 6:14 PM EST
Let’s take a quick look at the latest bit of Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg/True North news, shall we?
- Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution passes along a note from an Atlanta Thrashers fan about a rally to keep the team. The rally is expected to take place on Saturday from 12-4 p.m. ET. Rally organizer Lisa Lewis wrote that she hopes to gather some local media personalities such as Dan Kamal to speak during the event, which is also expected to include tailgating activities.
- In case you didn’t follow yesterday’s scuttlebutt, the word was that True North was looking to the city of Winnipeg to help deal with some debt to purchase the Thrashers.
If you believe Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger, then taxpayers won’t be responsible for that burden. Selinger said that the province “has no interest in supporting the operations of a professional hockey team,” according to The Canadian Press.
Here are a few more details from that report.
He says the province also doesn’t have anything to do with the negotiations between True North Sports and Entertainment Ltd. and the Atlanta Thrashers.
But Selinger says the province will do what it can to help make the city a desirable place to relocate the Thrashers.
He says the province could help with any renovations that might need to be done to the MTS Centre to support a team.
- Again, J.B. Smith (the man formerly known as “The Balkan”) likely won’t be the man in shining armor for those hoping that the Thrashers will stay in Atlanta. Someone else will need to come out of the woodwork for that to happen.
- Sure, it wasn’t exactly the warmest endorsement you’ll ever see, but original Thrashers owner Ted Turner wants the team to stay. Here’s the rather uncomfortable interview he did with Sam Crenshaw.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)