May 18, 2011, 12:35 AM EDT
When we discussed Sean Bergenheim‘s playoff run on Monday, it was all about unexpected heroes. Few people should be surprised that Tyler Seguin had a great playoff game since he was the second pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. What was surprising, however, was the timing of that breakthrough. If Bergenheim is an unexpected hero, then perhaps Seguin is a premature hero.
Either way, the 19-year-old forward burst onto the scene by scoring six points in his first two playoff games, including an astounding four-point performance (all in the second period) tonight. To underscore just how special a start Seguin is producing, here are a few interesting bits about how his start compares to others in playoff history.
- Seguin’s four points are the most by a teenager in any single playoff game, according to Versus.
- Only Barry Pederson (also a Boston Bruins forward) scored more points in his first two playoff games, notching seven in 1982. Seguin is tied for second all-time with six points, joining the likes of Dale Hawerchuk.
- Seguin managed his two goals on just three shots in Game 2.
- Overall, he scored two goals and two assists in just 13:41 of ice time. Talk about making the most of your time on the ice. (Honestly, Joe could still make the argument that Seguin deserves more time on the ice.)
- He was also a +3, so it’s not like he just fed off of power play production, either.
It’s not just that Seguin scored, by the way. The kid did it in style. Check out this montage from Versus.
That’s two straight games in which Seguin scored highlight reel goals. He scored two points in Game 1, including this beauty of a goal.
Here are a few excerpts from Seguin’s post-game press conference.
Q. Your first goal tonight looked a lot like the goal the other night. Were you seeing the same things, the same opportunities? What was ahead of you there?
TYLER SEGUIN: I kind of saw the same thing. Really, with my time off over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been working on driving the net hard and picking up speed in the neutral zone. And that goal today, I just kind of cut to the neutral zone and they were two deep and I tried to beat them with my speed. I wanted to mix up the move and not do the same thing that I did the last game, and it worked out.
Q. Your play spoke for itself tonight. I’m just wondering, because sometimes the fans, the media, are not always aware about conversations that are had on the bench, in the locker room between periods or in down-times. Can you share maybe a story where somebody on the bench, a coach, a teammate said something, either tonight or another night, that really made you feel good about yourself and helped you keep believing in yourself?
TYLER SEGUIN: There were a few times where guys who do have experience like Recchi and I remember a specific time where Shawn Thornton came up to me in the second round and he said: Look, kid if we’re going to the Cup, you’re going to get opportunity to play just because injuries are part of the game and have fun with it and enjoy the ride and take it all in and use it as a learning experience.
So I looked at it up top as an opportunity as well. It was tough watching but I tried to take it as an opportunity and I got the chance to come in, I just wanted to seize it.
No doubt about it, Seguin is seizing his opportunities. Joel Micheletti caught up with Seguin following the game.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)